No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EST alignments without genome

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could offer me some suggestions on how to approach an analysis. Currently, I am examining a transcriptome and looking at some "known" elements of that transcriptome and looking to see if I can identify any alternative transcripts/evidence for gene duplication in the predicted transcripts for these known elements. This is a non-model species and there is not enough genome sequence for me to effectively map my predicted transcripts(i.e. ESTs, basically) in order to predict splice site. I can identify regions of the transcripts that are strong matches for conserved protein domains, however. I can use blast to do this. Currently, I am using a round-about approach where after using blast results to identify sequences of interests, I then have to go through by hand (or just a very hands-on fashion) and generate clusters and/or alignments for these sequences and try to figure out where they overall, to what degree and if they might represent transcript fragments, novel isoforms or possible gene duplication events. What I kind of would like to do is to align these transcript sequences to some kind of genome-like track, but for proteins, in a some kind of viewer. The EST alignments, however, have proved to be a challenge due to the breaks and gap in alignments. Does anyone have any thoughts on a good way to generate the kind of data I would like (basicaly, use EST alignment to identify exons and alignment of that data to a protein structure to identify the coding regions? Or maybe a better tool/approach to address this type of question with the kind of de novo transcriptome data that I have?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Cheers,
    Nate

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses