Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• popbam or similar software?

I am wondering if anyone has tried popbam? I am looking for software to conduct population-level analyses, e.g., to compute nucleotide diversity, SNPs, and export alignments of particular genes to population genetics software. I have ~100 candidate genes I want to pull from a larger BAM file (454 reads aligned with Mosaik) for more in-depth analyses. I tried popbam, which appears to run, but doesn’t give any output. E.g., the command:

popbam snp –f reffile.fasta mysamples.bam

appears to run, but no output in the terminal or in the working directory. No error messages given. Bam and reference are indexed and sorted and both files are recognized by other packages such as samtools.

My three questions are (1) has anyone used popbam, (2) what does it give you for output (e.g., .vcf for snps), and (3) are there comparable packages that do similar analyses with next-gen data? I am aware of the wide array of SNP callers. Thanks!

I have another problem with popbam. when i start the program after a few seconds the message "Segmentation fault" appears on the screen. Have you ever had this problem?

Comment

Do you have enough memory? I ran into this on occasion, but I was on a 32-bit machine.

Comment

Any news on this front?

It looks like the next version of VCFtools will include Tajima's D (and may already have estimates like pi -- check out the patches), but nothing besides POPBAM currently seems to do Fay and Wu's H.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses