SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to determine correct reading frame virushunter Bioinformatics 0 07-12-2014 04:48 PM
How does picard determine reads that map to correct strand? batman Bioinformatics 5 09-16-2013 10:19 AM
survery: what assembler, gene prediction and gene annotation softwares do you use? Gorbenzer Metagenomics 6 04-22-2013 02:25 AM
Figuring out gene pathway/interaction after gene annotation Sunil Kamalakar Bioinformatics 2 09-06-2012 08:48 AM
In gene annotation table/gff3, why is same gene name appeared in different chromosome iloveneworleans Bioinformatics 1 01-14-2010 09:55 AM

Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 PM   #1
blairw

Default How do you determine which a gene annotation is correct?

Using the program Artemis, I have to get the annotation of one specific gene. I then have to do a blast search on other databases (Ecocyc, KEGG, etc.) and compare those results to Artemis (to see if the Artemis annotation is correct). If the databases do not give the same annotations for that gene, how do I decide which is correct (Artemis vs. the others)?

Sorry if I used any of the incorrect terms, I'm an undergrad and a lot of this is new to me.
blairw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:44 AM   #2
mastal

I'm not sure that you can determine which annotation is 'correct' without doing loads of additional work.

You would have to consider the source of the annotations, and which you would consider to be more reliable - whether it is from a manually curated database, or from a computational gene-prediction pipeline, or a mixture of both, for example.
mastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
GenoMax

It is always better to start with protein sequence when you are working with an unknown gene sequence. Start with Swissprot/Uniprot/RefSeq (http://www.uniprot.org/blast/) to see if you are able to find a conserved domain (or something that looks like one) even if the rest of the sequence match is not great.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, artemis, blast, ecocyc, kegg