No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cram

Hi Guys,

Anyone already thought about deploying CRAM for archiving alignment data, rather than BAM?

Our Illumina representative told us they want to switch to that format...

I've heard Sanger is considering it, perhaps even this year if CRAM continues to mature rapidly.

Comment

Yes, cram has a great potential. It may ultimately replace BAM (if cram does not do that, there will be a binary format to achieve sooner or later). Nonetheless, cram may not replace BAM right now. It does not (at least did not) support all the tags. I do not know the progress on compressing unmapped reads. Furthermore, I am concerned with the compression model. I also think lossy compression is the way to go, but this should be done by reducing the resolution of quality, instead of by selectively dropping all the quality information.

Comment

Originally posted by lh3 View Post
        Yes, cram has a great potential. It may ultimately replace BAM (if cram does not do that, there will be a binary format to achieve sooner or later). Nonetheless, cram may not replace BAM right now. It does not (at least did not) support all the tags.
        Supporting all the tags is expected in CRAM 0.7 due soon, see e.g.

I do not know the progress on compressing unmapped reads.
        I heard at a recent seminar that the CRAM team are looking at doing a mini-assembly of the unmapped reads in order to generate dummy reference sequences which can then be used for reference based compression. If I understood correctly this might be transparent to the user.
        Furthermore, I am concerned with the compression model. I also think lossy compression is the way to go, but this should be done by reducing the resolution of quality, instead of by selectively dropping all the quality information.
        Also at the same seminar we were told CRAM has several modes of quality compression, one of which is simply reducing the resolution.

Comment

That is great! Hope these can be done soon!

Comment

That does seem very promising.

Comment

I am the developer of CRAM and can answer any questions about it.

The code is here:
              Reference-based compression of SRA data. Contribute to vadimzalunin/crammer development by creating an account on GitHub.

Documentation can be found here:

We just released v0.7, which is not a long term support yet but stable enough to try it out.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses