Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installation of Burrows-Wheeler Alignment Tool (bwa) on Mac

Hi I am new to the bioinformatic field. I just want to know how I could install the bwa in my iMac after i download the bwa-0.6.1.tar.bz2 file. I know that i should do that using the terminal window but I am not sure how to do it. Any help?
    Last edited by MMPE; 12-05-2011, 03:12 AM.

You need to have Xcode from Apple installed (can be found on the AppStore). Extract the bwa archive and cd into it from the terminal. Then simply type `make' to compile and copy the resulting executable `bwa' anywhere you want (I would put it under /usr/local/bin - e.g sudo mv bwa /usr/local/bin).

Comment

Take a look at this thread (http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4589). Shameless plug as it is my own but it should help get you going. Sadly bwa will be just the start...

Comment

Hi
        About bwa and Mac.....I am trying to install bwa on Mac, after upgrading to Lion (I already downloaded the xcode 4 and added the relevant library to PATH). After trying 'make' I get the following message:

"gcc -c -g -Wall -O2 -DHAVE_PTHREAD QSufSort.c -o QSufSort.o
        QSufSort.c:32:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
        QSufSort.c:33:20: error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
        In file included from QSufSort.c:34:
        /Developer/usr/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin10/4.2.1/include/limits.h:10:25: error: limits.h: No such file or directory
        make: *** [QSufSort.o] Error 1"

I have no idea what that error means and how to fix it.....any suggestions please?
        Yu

Comment

Unfortunately Apple no longer packages the gcc compiler as part of the Xcode4 package that works with Mac OS Lion. To get around this issue you can install MacPorts and the gcc4.2 compiler package.

Another option is in this thread:
          Since Apple only ships SDK 10.6 with Xcode4, developing PPC applications with Xcode4 became impossible. While it is possible to develop applications with Xcode4 that can also run on 10.5 and maybe ...

Comment

Originally posted by Jon_Keats View Post
            Unfortunately Apple no longer packages the gcc compiler as part of the Xcode4 package that works with Mac OS Lion. To get around this issue you can install MacPorts and the gcc4.2 compiler package.

Another option is in this thread:
            http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5...ort-to-xcode-4
            It works for me. Another thread though:
            I updated to OS X Lion today, and I don't seem to have a copy of gcc any more. Did this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know why this would happen?

Comment

Thanks, installing the command line tools worked for me, although ad to go to developer site (https://developer.apple.com/downloads/). Installation from Xcode failed at checksum
              Yu

Comment

hello there,

I am very new to this and this is my first post. so please bear a bit with me.

I am facing problem in installing bwa on my laptop. I have installed Xcode and then downloaded bwa-0.6.2 version on my Mac OS X ver 10.7.4. whenever i type make to execute its giving me an error.

-bash: make: command not found

Any suggestion

Comment

Try the following:

You need to install Xcode from App Store: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xcode/id448457090?mt=12

Then start Xcode, go to Xcode->Preferences->Downloads and install component named "Command Line Tools". After that all the relevant tools will be placed in /usr/bin folder and you will be able to use it just as it was in 10.6

Comment

Thank you Jon_Keats.
                    I did download xcode as per your suggestion. It worked this time.

Comment

Hi all,
                      I am a new bioinoformatic field.
                      I want to install BWA. I already installed Xcode. However, I could not install BWA.
                      I type 'make' in terminal but can not success
                      Any suggestion in detail please
                      thank you very much

Comment

jon keats and nils homer, Thank You for your answers for this post.

I followed nilshomer's posted link and tried to do what the following , what <jbm hack> posted : <Preferences --> Downloads --> Command Line Tools, and click on installWith "Components">. But this didn't work for me.

So, I rather followed the instruction in this post http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...oads-for-devel

And then I ran the following command :

$xcode-select --install

This above command worked for me and the c++ compiler gcc got installed successfully on my mac 10.9.5. And I am now able to compile the bwa

Comment

thanks for the post, I installed the gcc on my mac 10.9.5 with the following command

xcode-select --install

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                          • seqadmin
                            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                          0 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post seqadmin  
                          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                          0 responses