Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is finding "all" alignments a pipe dream?

All is a bit arbitrary, of course, so maybe I just mean "all within a certain alignment quality boundary". I've wrestled with this time and time again - it seems that no matter how I tweak an aligner's settings I can always take the unaligned reads and run through another aligner, against the same reference, and find more alignments. Often there are really good alignments in that results so it's not just that one aligner can find alignments with more errors that the first failed to find.

Maybe even more of an issue is with certain multi-mappable reads. I might have one aligner only give me a few alignments while another gives me dozens. I know how to use aligners well enough to understand how to control multi-mapping so I'm sure it's not just because I have them set differently. More often than not I want to know if a read maps to multiple loci or not and if so does it map to A LOT of loci to the point that it's a read that I want to discard.

The best solution I can come up with is to use a consensus type of approach. Run multiple aligners, maybe even with different settings (for instance running BBMap with '-slow' and '-vslow' picks up additional alignments that it misses when using mostly standard settings), pooling said alignments, remove redundant alignments, and move on from there. I really don't want to do that due to the amount of time it will take running all of those alignments but it seems like there's just no single pass solution that works.

Comments?
    /* Shawn Driscoll, Gene Expression Laboratory, Pfaff
    Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA */

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses