Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with HTSeq read-count numbers, a lot of ambiguous or no_feature

Hi, I’m quite a novice to read alignment and mapping and I was hoping someone could advice me on this:

Experiment:
    I’ve downloaded sequencing data from a published paper and want to align the reads to the reference human genome. The sequencing data is on the the RNA that was obtained by pulling an RNA-binding protein from an infected cell lysate, treating it with RiboZero and making the library with TruSeq Stranded Total RNA Library Prep. Sequencing was done on MiSeq with 150 single-end reads.

I want align the sequencing reads not to the organism that was used to infect the cells but to the cellular genome itself and to get read counts for the genes the sequences align to.

What I did:

1. Did an alignment with tophat2:

tophat2 -p 16 --min-anchor-length 5 -g 1 --library-type fr-firststrand -o

Align summary
    Reads:
    Input : 3773481
    Mapped : 3624010 (96.0% of input)
    96.0% overall read mapping rate.

2. Then I used HTSeq on accepted_hits.bam file to get the read counts for hg38 reference genes:
    htseq-count -f bam -r name -s reverse -t exon -i gene_id -m union

I got, however, a lot of reads that fall into no-feture (34%) or ambiguous (37.8%) categories and I’m not sure if this is normal or if I have done something wrong.

Also, the reads with greatest count numbers in HtSeq are still various ribosomal RNAs (top one is 18S with 447001 counts) and I’m not sure if this is normal even after the RiboZero treatment.

Would be immensely grateful for any help.

It is pretty normal to still have some rRNA left over even after a ribodepletion step. Since you are only counting exon-mapping reads, all of the intronic reads (which are not insignificant in a non polyA+ library) fall into 'no-feature'.

'Ambiguous' means a read hits multiple annotated features, but my personal preference is not to ignore these. featureCounts has an option to count these, and is orders of magnitude faster than htseq-count, fyi.

Also, if this was a CLIP/RIP experiment, you may have even less efficiency with the ribodepletion depending on how rough the IP conditions were.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses