Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genomic DNA QC using Bioanalyzer?

This might sound like a daft question, but if I was to run 1 ul of genomic DNA on a Bioanalyzer HS chip would I be able to detect sample degradation? I realise that high molecular weight genomic DNA will be far too large to be detected, but would any smaller weight 'smear' show up on the Bioanalyzer trace?

We have some insect extractions with very little DNA (~100 ng) from a whole insect. We have found running out the DNA on a gel to be quite a poor way of seeing the DNA quality - needing at least 30 ng and using Ethidium staining. While we can sometimes see the faint high molecular weight band, it is near impossible to see if there is much 'smear'. And the main problem is that we have so little DNA in the first place.

I wondered if using the Bioanalyzer may help, since it uses so little of the precious sample.

I'd consider a 12000 chip if you're willing to burn 1uL...it should be able to visualize anything over 0.5ng/uL

Comment

The HS chip is quite sensitive with regards to genomic DNA and overloading. So I would recommend not to load more than 50 ng/µl, better around 10-15 ng/µl if you want to quantify. There are several problematic aspects to it though - if your sample runs into the upper marker, your quantification will be biased, and if you load too much, the quantification will also be wrong.
      Genomic DNA cannot enter the channels and it's possible that the chip doesn't run properly (if the gDNA is not degraded).
      The 0.5 ng/µl quoted for the 12000 chip is referring to this concentration in a single peak. You will not see this concentration in a smear sample (more like 5 ng/µl required).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses