No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOLID reads

hi,
    i wonder to know what should i do before mapping reads to reference genome?
    reads is like:
    >853_1434_503_F3
    T00010230120200223112313302010303131
    >853_1434_640_F3
    T10110321132100321101032203211113333
    >853_1434_723_F3
    T10002311323331221330201030303112312
    >853_1434_796_F3
    T33330210031203013231322323302010303
    >853_1434_1327_F3
    T11231011321333211013021301000330201
    these reads are for microRNA analysis, while as we known, microRNA's length is approximate 20nt, my reads are 35bp, should i shorten them?

Hi EADIE,

I think it depends on how you intend on processing the data. Software like bioscope and CLCBio will dynamically trim your data to remove adapters and non-miRNA sequence. They both also (in different ways) can help you annotate known miRNA against MIRBASE or other annotation sources. Handling this data like traditional re-sequencing data using mapping software such as bfast, bowtie, bwa, CLC, etc will probably not provide you with the results you are looking for. Happy to help more if needed.
    Justin H. Johnson | Twitter: @BioInfo | LinkedIn: http://bit.ly/LIJHJ | EdgeBio

Comment

Originally posted by jjohnson View Post
      Hi EADIE,

I think it depends on how you intend on processing the data. Software like bioscope and CLCBio will dynamically trim your data to remove adapters and non-miRNA sequence. They both also (in different ways) can help you annotate known miRNA against MIRBASE or other annotation sources. Handling this data like traditional re-sequencing data using mapping software such as bfast, bowtie, bwa, CLC, etc will probably not provide you with the results you are looking for. Happy to help more if needed.
      thanks for your reply! it helps me a lot...
      does bioscope or CLCBio is free? or should i write a perl script to remove adapters? is there any other free tools to do that?

Comment

RNA2MAP, which is part of the SOLiD open source software community is free to use: http://solidsoftwaretools.com/gf/project/rna2map/

CLC is a commercial package, but you can get a 2 week demo: http://www.clcbio.com
        Justin H. Johnson | Twitter: @BioInfo | LinkedIn: http://bit.ly/LIJHJ | EdgeBio

Comment

Originally posted by jjohnson View Post
          RNA2MAP, which is part of the SOLiD open source software community is free to use: http://solidsoftwaretools.com/gf/project/rna2map/

CLC is a commercial package, but you can get a 2 week demo: http://www.clcbio.com
          can RNA2MAP have the function of removing adapters and producing data of csfasta format?
          bother you again...

Comment

Originally posted by EADIE View Post
            can RNA2MAP have the function of removing adapters and producing data of csfasta format?
            bother you again...
            No. The manual does not mention generating csfasta file as the 6 possible outputs.

Since the documentation is free and available you could take a quick look at it and see if the program mets your needs.

Comment

Detection of microRNAs in color-space

Hi,

We just published a paper on microRNA detection using color space. I think that may be of your interest. We discuss how to efficiently remove adaptors and show why SOLiD RNA2MAP may be problematic to detect multiple-copy microRNAs. An advance access of the paper is just available from Bioinformatics site.

Cheers,
              Toni

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses