SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Clinical Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PubMed: Mapping the Ion Current Distribution in Nanopore/Electrode Devices. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 12-14-2012 11:16 PM
FDA & Gilead Presentations available to download from NGS for Drug Developers JoshLowth Events / Conferences 0 12-05-2012 07:12 AM
ORISE Bioinformatics fellowship at the FDA retimme Academic/Non-Profit Jobs 0 08-30-2012 05:39 AM
Genetic Freedom: How soon until the FDA shackles 23andMe/deCODEme? ECO Personalized Genomics 1 06-14-2010 12:53 PM

Old 11-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
GenoMax

Default NGS devices get US-FDA approval

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsro.../ucm375742.htm
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #2
austinso

Caveat is that it can only handle up to V2 chemistry.
austinso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
GenoMax

Not surprising. There will likely be no "user serviceable parts" in MiSeqDX. Approval is for specific version of MCS/chemistry/analysis software.

This application may need a new purchase i.e. an existing MiSeq probably can't be upgraded to a MiSeqDX.

Looks like the pages for Molecular Diagnostics are already up: http://www.illumina.com/clinical/diagnostics.ilmn
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #4
austinso

In fact, the instrument would be a "downgrade" compared to what is out now from what I understand...the requirement of the FDA approval process that everything must be locked down prior to submission.

But, while this does open the door to FDA-approved reagents for NGS, there could be ramifications for current LDTs using sequencing given the CLIA vs. FDA ambiguity.
austinso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #5
ymc

I presume if you want to make a product out of this MiSeqDX, your interpretation software should also need FDA approval, right?

Are there any incentive for Foundation Medicine or OncoType DX to create an FDA-approved version of their test? It seems to me they can just keep marketing them as LDTs forever?
ymc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diagnostic applications, fda