Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False negative variant calling in haploids. Call variants using coverage (not stats)?

Greetings,

I am looking for the simplest possible way to call variants computationally, just using position coverage and the ratio of reference/alternative allele, for divergent haploid genomes. I.e. no need for prior probability or a prediction based on an allele frequency spectrum. There is good coverage (average depth of coverage is 316X), and the sequences are 100bp reads of high-quality.

I am mapping with BWA and using bcftools to call variants using Bayesian inference in "mpileup" files. It seems bcftools is just too fancy for this to work among these divergent haploid genomes, and I am getting only half the variants I should be, even setting the quality scores as low as 5 for filtering.

Looking at my BAMs, the variants are there but are getting removed somehow, probably because they don't fit with some expected allele-frequency spectrum due to the level of divergence (~10-20 variants/kb)

Is there a simple way, using bcftools, a script that goes into the pileup, or another program to get better calls? FreeBayes is recommended here for haploid genomes, and I'll look into it, but I think it may end-up with the same problem.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Genomics101; 06-05-2012, 10:23 AM.

I am assuming by variants you mean SNPs. FreeBayes is good. Also try JGIL.

Comment

SNPs and small indels, yes. I'm looking into FreeBayes now. I also ran the analysis on each BAM individually, rather than using a population sample, with bcftools, and the results were much better.

Comment

Here is another seqanswers thread that might give some ideas if you haven't already seen it:

If your looking for a simple way to call SNPs from the base frequencies, you might check out

where they call something a homozygous SNP if the non-reference allele is >80% (after filtering on quality Q20 and coverage 20X). They called hets if the alternate allele was between 20-80% (which wouldn't be pertinent for you since you are dealing with haploids). This could at least serve as a base line sanity check.

The IGV browser employs a similar heuristic to show variants:

If a nucleotide differs from the reference sequence in greater than 20% of quality weighted reads, IGV colors the bar in proportion to the read count of each base
        Justin

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses