SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > General

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spam prevention: Posts from new users will be filtered for spam ECO Site Announcements 20 06-12-2015 08:07 PM
aligners filtering out reads with excessive read depth? efoss Bioinformatics 2 10-01-2013 11:19 AM
[Onion]~from Korea! DamianS Introductions 0 04-03-2012 10:19 PM

Old 04-06-2015, 05:12 AM   #1
RamakrishnanRS

Angry Excessive spam from multiple accounts based out of Korea

There have been nearly a 1000 posts from multiple user accounts across sub-forums that are all in Korean and are definitely spam.

Does the community not have a verification procedure for new accounts or a post limit per hour in place? Mods need to ban these spammer accounts and work on further safeguards!
Old 04-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
ECO
--Site Admin--

Whew...we definitely got hit by some botnet mostly in Korea that has been able to post quickly and overcome the human verification management we have.

I'm definitely improving it...thanks for your patience.

-=Eric
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamakrishnanRS View Post
There have been nearly a 1000 posts from multiple user accounts across sub-forums that are all in Korean and are definitely spam.

Does the community not have a verification procedure for new accounts or a post limit per hour in place? Mods need to ban these spammer accounts and work on further safeguards!
Wow, I complete agree with you Ramakrishnan!
Would you by any chance be able to travel to Korea and try to track down this spammer? Perhaps he can be reasoned with!

--
Phillip
pmiguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #4
pmiguel

Eric,
Would it be possible to block posts that contain Korean characters? Or maybe more than a threshhold number of Korean characters -- to avoid blocking people with Korean email addresses from posting in English.
--
Phillip
Old 05-08-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiguel View Post
Eric,
Would it be possible to block posts that contain Korean characters? Or maybe more than a threshhold number of Korean characters -- to avoid blocking people with Korean email addresses from posting in English.
--
Phillip
Will be nice to block all posts not written in English. I've been irritated by non-English threads especially job postings despite the fact that google translate works very well nowadays. This kind of "private conversation" will leave other members feeling disengaged.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
pmiguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
Will be nice to block all posts not written in English. I've been irritated by non-English threads especially job postings despite the fact that google translate works very well nowadays. This kind of "private conversation" will leave other members feeling disengaged.
If there are frequent discussions going on in Korean here, then I retract my recommendation.

Personally I don't have any problem with people using whatever language they want to post here.

--
Phillip

Tags
spam, spammers