No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150bp read?

Hi Folks,
    I am in a situation where I need long reads but with as few sequencing errors as possible. I currently have 75bp reads but am looking to generate longer ones. Would you recommend 100bp or 150bp? Ideally the 150 bp reads would avoid assembling errors I am having but a high number of errors in the reads could also cause all sorts of bother! Any recommendations?

Originally posted by NGS_user View Post
    Hi Folks,
    I am in a situation where I need long reads but with as few sequencing errors as possible. I currently have 75bp reads but am looking to generate longer ones. Would you recommend 100bp or 150bp? Ideally the 150 bp reads would avoid assembling errors I am having but a high number of errors in the reads could also cause all sorts of bother! Any recommendations?
    Use 150bp if you have the choice.

It should be better out to 100bp, plus you should get decent quality (on some reads) out to 130-140 bases. Adaptive trimming is, as ever, a good idea to take out the poorer reads.

Comment

An alternative is the one used by the Broad Institute for de novo genome assembly. Construct libraries with 180bp inserts, performed paired-end 100bp sequencing, and use the 20bp overlap in the center to generate 180bp reads. In addition to increased length, there's the added advantage that the bases at the ends of the reads (which typically have the lowest q-scores) are sequenced twice. The critical parameter is a tight size distribution for your libraries so that the reads overlap.

Comment

All depends on what quality you need at the end of the run. I've just been looking at the latest MySeq performance data and they report a mean qscore of >20 at 150 bases.

Comment

We had a lane of 150bp PE reads for de novo assembly of a bacterial genome. Curiously, trimming the reads down to 100bp actually produced larger contigs. Not sure what's going on, I just posted this issue here:

Comment

Originally posted by HESmith View Post
            An alternative is the one used by the Broad Institute for de novo genome assembly. Construct libraries with 180bp inserts, performed paired-end 100bp sequencing, and use the 20bp overlap in the center to generate 180bp reads. In addition to increased length, there's the added advantage that the bases at the ends of the reads (which typically have the lowest q-scores) are sequenced twice. The critical parameter is a tight size distribution for your libraries so that the reads overlap.
            You can do the same trick with 150bp reads, using 250bp or so inserts. However, you have to make absolutely sure that the distribution of reads is tight, or you'll possibly end up collapsing a small repeat region.

Comment

it depends on what machine and chemistry version.

On the GA they can comnfortably go to 150 without too many errors.
              On the current HiSeq chemistry(not the one released last week-v4) I wouldn't go beyond 100, maybe not even beyond 75
              That has been our experience.
              They claim the v4 chemitry will be accurate to 150 bases (each way) but I don't have first hand knowledge yet. We will not be switching until we use up our old stuff and we have 6-8 weeks worth.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses