No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene expression normalization

Hi,
    I am working on alternative splicing (AS) events on 4 different tomato species. I am trying to find "interesting" AS events. What do I mean by that?

Lets say for example, the AS event is "exon-skipping" (ES). After mapping RNA-Seq reads to tomato genome, I look for "junctions" (or intron coordinates) where they are "spliced" normally - normal junctions (NJ) and where the 3prime end Exon is skipped. So, for every junction, I have a count of reads that map to the junction normally (exactly where the intron is and supposed splicing should occur) and count of reads where at the same junction an ES event had occurred (the 3prime exon is skipped). At the end I have a table like this for each junction (I already remove where there is no ES event in ALL 4 species).

Junction 1:
    S1 S2 S3 S4
    ES 10 0 27 0
    NJ 95 20 50 380

Then I do a fisher-test on this 2*4 table and correct for multiple-testing using Benjamini-Hochberg method (from R multtest package) to obtain those events that are significantly different across species.

Now of course the question is, what if 1) the gene where this junction (or intron) belongs is over- (or under-) expressed between these species. For ex: S2 has only a total of 20 reads mapped. 2) How about the number of reads for these species that was sequenced? 3) what about gene length? ( as the transcript abundance is also found to be positively correlated with gene length).

So, I have to somehow normalize this data. So far, with the exception of RPKM (which I am not convinced as an appropriate measure), all other methods were about finding differential expression of genes (and demand 2 or more samples), for ex: quantile normalization, TMM, the edgeR package etc. However, I would like to normalize gene expression in each of these samples.

Does anyone have an idea how to go about it? I would be very grateful for any ideas.

Thank you!
    Last edited by cedance; 08-04-2011, 01:50 AM.

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
  • seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
0 responses