Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to order the contigs

when I sequence a genome de nove sequencing, how can I certain the sequence of the contigs, For example, there are contig A, contig B, contig C and how can I know which contig is in the front of others, which is the second and who is the last one?
    I know maybe the software of Manuve can do this. Is there any other software can do this too?
    Thank you!

Moved to a more appropriate forum. Also, this question has been asked multiple times, please search the forums...

Comment

I'd recommend searching the forum in addition to below

the only way to be certain of contig order is to have the whole genome sequenced and a total number of contigs equal to the number of chromosomes+plasmids in your organism!

Other than that, you can predict scaffolds based on blasting all your contigs against the "nr" database, finding the typically most closely related organism, then blasting all contigs against ONLY that organism.

Then play around with contig order to minimize the number of genomic inversions and other changes at the ends of contigs and arrange them using a tool like ACT. You can use this information to predict which primer pairs you need for gap closure. If things are ambiguous, try multiple different contig orders and/or skip over a contig in the middle to determine contigs that flank the ambiguously placed contig (which could be a duplicate).

There may be an automated way to do the ACT-like step, but I'm personally not aware of it.

Comment

thank you for your reply. your idea is useful to me and i will try. in fact i have used Manuve to do the job, but the Manuve come across some trouble and i can not solve them, so i hope change a new software.

Comment

http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/act/ is what I used

Comment

There are comparative assemblers / scaffolders as part of the AMOS suite.

Do you have a link for "Manuve"? I can't find it

Comment

Originally posted by krobison View Post
              There are comparative assemblers / scaffolders as part of the AMOS suite.

Do you have a link for "Manuve"? I can't find it
              luckylove problably means "Mauve": http://gel.ahabs.wisc.edu/mauve/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
              • seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
              0 responses