No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastx-tool kit_setting the prarameter

Hii
    I am new to this. So can any one please suggest me how to set the parameter in fastx-tool kit regardgin the follwing criteria ....selection of the reads will be based upon Q20 value where min read length will be >100bp at a strech..if its find low quality reads at the 5'/3' end it will simply trim those portion and will take the rest of the read.... i tried
    $fastq_quality_filter -q 20 and then
    $fastx_clipper -a 0 -l 100 (-a 0; as the sequences are already clipped for the adapter as well as barcodes)
    it is something like, i want trim the reads based on their quality value..is it possible with Fastx-tool kit at all??

Thanx for any help in advance

Regards

I don't think fastx can do that. You may try trimmomatic? Or some other options here:

Comment

i have used Trimmomatics with the following parameter...

$java -classpath path/Trimmomatic-0.32/trimmomatic-0.32.jar org.usadellab.trimmomatic.TrimmomaticSE -phred33 input.fastq output.fastq SLIDINGWINDOW:100:20 MINLEN:100

it seems all ok..but at this point i want to be sure that does this processed the reads as i wanted..selection of the reads will be based upon Q20 value where min read length will be >100bp at a strech and this sliding window of 100 will make sure that if a read contain bases with lower qualities at both the end, it will simply trim those bases and keep the rest part of the read if its more than 100bp..does the parameters did the same thing?? am confused..any suggesition would be much appreciated........
      Last edited by chayan; 01-16-2014, 06:33 AM.

Comment

For trimming low quality bases from the 5' end or the 3' end of the read, trimmomatic also has the commands LEADING or TRAILING, respectively.

Read the trimmomatic web page.

In addition, if you create a logfile when you run trimmomatic, it will tell you where it trimmed each read, so you can check a few of the reads to see if trimmomatic is doing what you want it to do.

Comment

dear mastal
          Thanks a lot, yes i have seen that too but as i can see from the stats that my reads are of mix population, so basically i cant set a fix point of trimming at the 5'/3' position, in contrast 100bp with Q20, i guess, is enough stringency added for any kind of down stream analysis.. here my target is to OTU analysis.. can you please suggest me how to decode the log file..i found it really hard to made any conclusion about the trimming position

Again thaks for your kind help

Comment

See the trimmomatic web page, the section with the heading Single End Mode, for an explanation of the fields in the log file.

With the TRAILING, LEADING commands you don't specify how many bases or at which position to cut, you specify the base quality threshold, so for example TRAILING:3, will trim all bases with quality less than 3 (Ns, for example) from the 3' end of a read.

Comment

okk thanx again..now what will be the case if i choose LEADING:20 (as reads are in that direction), will it stop checking whenever it reaches to a bases above that specified quality value or it will continue its search and will look for the MINLEN:100 before taking the decision wheather to keep the read or throw it, because for obvious some bases will be of low quality at the other end of the read???

Comment

well, from the example section i have found that if i set the parameter like this SLIDINGWINDOW:<1 to 5>:20 (in eg. 4) and MINLEN:100 should solve my purpose, ...because setting SLIDINGWINDOW:100:20 will lead to loss of too many reads and not the true reflection of the quality of the run...let me try first and i will inform as things turns out...... many thanks for your help
                Last edited by chayan; 01-16-2014, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses