Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie2: Error accepting mate files

I'm trying to align numerous fastq files to the hg19 reference with bowtie2. I have a shell script that should read in the fastq files (paired end) and align them to their reference as per the script laid out in bowtie's instruction manual.

Code:
    #cd /home/psychgene/Documents/bowtie
    bowtie2 -x hg19 -q -1 $/media/psychgene/My\ Passport/RNA-Seq\ FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq -2 $/media/psychgene/My\ Passport/RNA-Seq\ FASTQ/ERR188028_2.fastq -S ERR188028.sam
    executing this script returns this error:

Code:
    Warning: Same mate file "$/media/psychgene/My" appears as argument to both -1 and -2
    Extra parameter(s) specified: "Passport/RNA-Seq", "FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq", "Passport/RNA-Seq", "FASTQ/ERR188028_2.fastq"
    Note that if <mates> files are specified using -1/-2, a <singles> file cannot
    also be specified.  Please run bowtie separately for mates and singles.
    Error: Encountered internal Bowtie 2 exception (#1)
    Command: /usr/bin/bowtie2-align --wrapper basic-0 -q -x hg19 -S ERR188028.sam -1 $/media/psychgene/My -2 $/media/psychgene/My Passport/RNA-Seq FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq Passport/RNA-Seq FASTQ/ERR188028_2.fastq 
    bowtie2-align exited with value 1
    psychgene@psychgene-VirtualBox:~/Documents/bowtie$ sh FASTQ.sh
    Warning: Same mate file "$/media/psychgene/My" appears as argument to both -1 and -2
    Extra parameter(s) specified: "Passport/RNA-Seq", "FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq", "Passport/RNA-Seq", "FASTQ/ERR188028_2.fastq"
    Command: /usr/bin/bowtie2-align --wrapper basic-0 -x hg19 -q -S ERR188028.sam -1 $/media/psychgene/My -2 $/media/psychgene/My Passport/RNA-Seq FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq Passport/RNA-Seq FASTQ/ERR188028_2.fastq 
    I've even tried to remove the -2 file and run as a -U alignment, which returns a similar error message:

Code:
    Command: /usr/bin/bowtie2-align --wrapper basic-0 -x hg19 -q -S ERR188028.sam -1 $/media/psychgene/My -2 $/media/psychgene/My Passport/RNA-Seq FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq Passport/RNA-Seq FASTQ/ERR188028_2.fastq 
    psychgene@psychgene-VirtualBox:~/Documents/bowtie$ sh FASTQ.sh
    Extra parameter(s) specified: "Passport/RNA-Seq", "FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq"
    Command: /usr/bin/bowtie2-align --wrapper basic-0 -x hg19 -q -S ERR188028.sam -U $/media/psychgene/My Passport/RNA-Seq FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq 
    Any technical support is appreciated!

Thanks

It looks like escaping the spaces is not working. I suggest you rename the input files to not have any spaces. Though maybe it would work if you surrounded the file names by quotes.

Comment

Unforunately neither seemed to resolve this issue.

Do i need to specify each index file of hg19? There are 6 files that I downloaded: hg19.1.bt2 through hg19.4.bt2, hg19.rev1.bt2, and hg19.rev2.bt2. The manual only stated
      Code:
      lambda_phage
      as reference, even though lambda_phage corresponds to multiple index files.

Comment

Oh, let me rephrase - it's not the file, but the directory. Did you try renaming this:

/media/psychgene/My\ Passport/RNA-Seq\ FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq

to this:

/media/psychgene/My_Passport/RNA-Seq_FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq

...so that there are no spaces in the path?

Comment

Thanks Brian, I think that may have done something positive, but I'm now encountering a new error. Have any thoughts?:

Code:
          Warning: Could not open read file "$/media/psychgene/My_Passport/RNA-Seq_FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq" for reading; skipping...
          Error: No input read files were valid
          I've tried different arrangments of adding -q prefix and renaming extension to .fq.

Comment

It may not have permissions set correctly... or, it may not exist. Please post the output of this command:

ls -l $/media/psychgene/My_Passport/RNA-Seq_FASTQ/ERR188028_1.fastq

Also, it could have something to do with the dollar sign, which probably should not be there; it's for expanding variables.

Comment

Great catch! The $ appears to have been the culprit. bowtie has accepted the reads and is processing them.
              Thanks for your insight!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses