No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• independet filtering and experimental design in DESeq

Hi everybody,

I know this problem to be discussed quite a lot. I read the posts here and here (and also the papers mentioned in them).

I have two questions concerning my experiment. One is about the experimental design, the second about how to set the filtering. I think they are both somehow connected, so I would like to place them in one post.

In my experiment we have three conditions (ctrl, KO1 and KO2) and three separate cell types ( I, P, and NP).
    I would like to understand better how to analyse the data in one go.

The aim of the experiment is not only to compare the ctrl vs. KO1 and/or KO2, but also to analyse the efficiency of cellular processes by comparing NP vs. P in ctrl and/or KO1 and KO2.

I ran the analysis once with all genes (without any filtering at all, first!). I compared the ctrl vs. KO1 and KO2. It was interesting to see, that in all the comparisons of ctrl vs. KO1 I get a long list of significantly deregulated genes (FDR=0.1%), but in the comparison ctrl vs. KO2 I get only 2-5 genes.
    So I thought a good explanation for that will be filtering the low-count genes. In search of a good cutoff I tried the genefilter package and got the following rank plot:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rank_scatterplot.png
Views:	1
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	308315

Q1: I was wondering if cutting the data set at 0.57 is a good decision.

Than I looked for a FDR value and did the rejection plot, to see how many genes I am left with, with each of the different FDR values.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	rejection_plot.png
Views:	1
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	308316
    It was interessting to see, that from 0%-50% they are all overlap each other.

Q2: Does that mean, that there is no difference between ϑ=0.5 and ϑ=0.1?

pair-wise vs. multifactor design:

I read the DESeq manual and ran the analysis as described here:
    Code:
    pd <- read.delim2("../phenoData.txt", sep="\t",quote="", row.names=1)

featureCountTable = read.table( "countTable.txt", header=TRUE, row.names=1, quote="")

conditions = factor(pd$comparison) # I have [COLOR="Red"]nine conditions[/COLOR] are ctrl_I, ctrl_NP, ctrl_P, KO1_I, KO1,NP, KO1_P KO2_I, KO2_NP and KO2_P

cds = newCountDataSet( featureCountTable, conditions )

cds = estimateSizeFactors( cds )
    normResults <- counts( cds, normalized=TRUE ) 

#Variance estimation
    cds = estimateDispersions(cds)

# I than ran for each comparison a binomial test
    res_I_ctrl_KO1 = nbinomTest( cds, "ctrl_I", "KO1_I" )
    res_P_ctrl_KO1 = nbinomTest( cds, "ctrl_P", "KO1_P" )
    I was wondering if DESeq can work this way or if I need to run a multi-factor design such as

Code:
    fit1 = fitNbinomGLMs( cdsFullDataSet, count ~ libType + condition )
    fit0 = fitNbinomGLMs( cdsFullDataSet, count ~ libType )
    whereas libType will be the ctrl, KO1 and KO2 and condition will be I, NP and P.

It will be great if I can get some help.

thanks a lot

Assa

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
  • seqadmin
    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
0 responses
0 likes
Last Post seqadmin  
Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
0 responses