Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paired end errors with Picard ValidateSamFile

I am analyzing an experiment in which paired end sequencing was used to sequence exomes from a number of samples. All of the mapping and bam files were created using lifescope. We ran barcoded samples with multiple samples/lane and multiple lanes/sample. The bam files produced from each lane were merged to create one bam file for each sample. When I run the Picard ValidateSamFile command, I get the following errors:

Mate alignment does not match alignment start of mate
    Mate negative strand flag does not match read negative strand flag of mate
    Both mates are marked as second of pair

This indicates that the alignments across mate pairs do not coincide. I am concerned about the validity of these alignments. Should they be filtered out prior to downstream processing? Picard has a tool FixMateInformation but I can't find any information on what this tool actually does. I assume it either deletes the offending reads or forces the information across mate pairs to coincide.

Does anyone have more experience with these errors? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Mike

There is very similar thread on the samtools mailing list today with some good advice...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
    0 responses