Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual indexing construct for MiSeq - where to put the barcode for index2?

We would like to use the second indexing read on the MiSeq for amplicon sequencing (not using the Illumina Custom Amplicon Sequencing). Has anyone successfully designed the adaptors containing index2? Where would you put the barcodes?
    I assume "TrueSeq Universal Adapter" from the "Illumina-Customer-Sequence-Letter" would be the sequence to start.
    Thanks
    Vinz

Hi Vinz, I looked into this and the information that Illumina distributes to customers does not contain the full length adapter sequences as far as I know. You might also be interested in this thread where csquared helpfully suggested that the 2nd barcode is inside the other adapter and is primed directly from the flowcell annealing sequence. Reading Illumina's instrument operation manuals appears to confirm this, they suggest there are some chemistry-only dark cycles prior to reading the other index in their standard protocol and these presumably synthesize the bases between the flow cell annealing region and the index region.

However, if you are doing amplicon sequencing you probably have the flexibility to design your own sequencing primers in which case you might be able to follow a design like what Kircher et al have described. That would have the advantage of not wasting 9 cycles of reagents.

Comment

Thanks for the link to the paper of Kircher et al. That is indeed helpful.
      The way the 2nd barcode is sequenced is nicely described in the Dual Indexing Training for all that have access. It just does not show any sequences.

Comment

The video in that training is the best explanation I've seen yet of the dual index adapter structure and sequencing process. Interesting that the 2nd index is sequenced while the template molecule is bridged. Thanks Vinz!

Comment

Hey guys. I'm in the process of making my own Truseq-esque double indexing adapters for MiSeq, and (as you've seen) Illumina will not be forthcoming with the sequences...so I had to figure it out for myself and will share it with you.

I just sequenced a standard single-indexed TruSeq library with the Nextera/Amplicon protocol and the below describes my observations.
          It may not help with figuring out the nextera sequences but probably contains some information that will help.

I'm just about to run libraries with my own homebrew double indexing design, will post when/if it turns out well.

Attached Files

Comment

Oh and page 5 of this document has as nice diagram of the process, so far the chemistry has seemed the same on the MiSeq.
            Attached Files

Comment

Meanwhile we figured out how to do the dual indexing.
              What you have colored green are the 7 bases that are cut with an restriction enzyme and later added again by the 7 dark cycles. We hypothesize the restriction enzyme is DpnI. Recognition site GATC, cutting after GA.
              This green sequence should be as it is on the left side of the index. After the index the ACAC is repeated as this matches the 5' end of read 1 sequencing primer and then you go on with the red part...
              This works very well for us on the MiSeq for dual indexing with the primers of the cartridge.

Comment

Originally posted by ECO View Post
                I'm just about to run libraries with my own homebrew double indexing design, will post when/if it turns out well.
                By "homebrew," do you mean that you were using custom Read 1, i7 index and Read 2 primers? I am contemplating this strategy for dual indexed amplicons in order to avoid sequencing the constant regions that anneal to the PCR template.

Either way, how did it turn out?

Comment

MiSeq Dual-indexing

Originally posted by Vinz View Post
                  What you have colored green are the 7 bases that are cut with an restriction enzyme and later added again by the 7 dark cycles. We hypothesize the restriction enzyme is DpnI. Recognition site GATC, cutting after GA.
                  This green sequence should be as it is on the left side of the index. After the index the ACAC is repeated as this matches the 5' end of read 1 sequencing primer and then you go on with the red part...
                  This works very well for us on the MiSeq for dual indexing with the primers of the cartridge.
                  I have a library design based on Kirchner et al. as well and I'm planning to run it on the MiSeq. So, did you have to tweak the sample sheet of the MiSeq or did you use the standard Nextera program? Maybe you could even share your sample sheet here?

Thanks,
                  seq_yak
                  Last edited by seq_yak; 06-19-2012, 07:24 AM. Reason: a lot of typos

Comment

I have attached a recent sample sheet example.
                    The sequence of index1 (I7) needs to be reverse complemented of what you ordered as primer. The sequence of index2 is just as the primer was synthesized.
                    However, this will use the index and read primers of the cartridge. If you want to add your own primers you need to add this information.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Does that mean that using the following primers you could create your own dual indexed amplicon library?

AATGATACGGCGACCACCGAGA{TCTACAC}[i5 index][custom fwd]
                      CAAGCAGAAGACGGCATACGAGAT[i7 index][custom rev]

Dark cycles in curly brackets{ }
                      Read 1 with custom fwd
                      Index i7 with reverse compliment of custom rev
                      Index i5 same as Illumina's
                      Read 2 with custom rev

We'd be very interested in this for potential 16s studies as could then feasibly multiplex 96, or even 384 samples in one MiSeq run.

Comment

I think this should do it.

Comment

I have attached a recent sample sheet example.
                          The sequence of index1 (I7) needs to be reverse complemented of what you ordered as primer. The sequence of index2 is just as the primer was synthesized.
                          However, this will use the index and read primers of the cartridge. If you want to add your own primers you need to add this information.
                          Hi Vinz,

thanks for the input. So, if I understood you right you're able to use the primers of the cartridge and the sample sheet you posted to sequence such a TruSeq-esque library (attached)?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi seq_yak,
                            yes, with the design you attached things should work well. You do not need to add additional primers and with the sample sheet MiSeq should give you nice sequences. Good luck!

Comment

So that would be a hemi-methylated DpnI site? With the flowcell oligo contributing the methylated adenine required for DpnI to cut?

--
                              Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses