Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attempting to sequence human MHC region

I wanted to know if anyone has experience sequencing the human MHC region (~4 Mb). My plan is capture the region using a custom Agilent SureSelect kit (exons, intron, 5' and 3' UTRs). After masking the repetitive regions, I found that ~30,000 baits will cover the remaining 2 Mb of sequence at 1X tiling. We would like to generate libraries for both the 454 and GAIIX machines.

Our next-generation core facility beta-tested Agilent's Human All-Exon SureSelect kit with good results except for the MHC region. Unfortunately, ~70% of the genes in this region were lacking sequence in one or more exons. I'm getting the feeling that it is probably impossible to sequence this region using a hybridization sequence capture approach. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Double A

The Agilent All Exon kit only targets ~80% of coding refseq exons.
    Really quick numbers here: there are 560 baits in this kit that target the MHC region and ~1300 exons. The kit just doesn't target the region very well, your custom design will likely work fine.

Comment

Thanks for the information! That's really surprising. I think my 55000 baits will do a better job than their 560! How did you find out only 560 baits target the MHC region? Did you find a "BaitTiling_bed" file for Agilent's Human All-Exon SureSelect kit? I would really like to look at their bait layout on Santa Cruz's genome browser.

Thanks,
      DoubleA

Comment

You can get a bed file of the baits from the Agilents eArray site. I used bedTools to extract the baits targeting the MHC region. You could also upload the bed file from earray to UCSC as a custom track.

Comment

Wow! I just checked the bed file and you are correct. Many important genes do not have any baits. Thanks again for your help!

Comment

Note Agilent is in the process of updating their "whole exome" enrichment kit. Apparently, a lot of people have complained at the large number of missed exons.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenSeq View Post
              Note Agilent is in the process of updating their "whole exome" enrichment kit. Apparently, a lot of people have complained at the large number of missed exons.
              by updates did you mean the new 50Mb kit?
              Explore Agilent’s applications and solutions for your genomics lab. Discover tools for next-generation sequencing (NGS), microarrays, CRISPR, PCR/qPCR, sample quality control (QC), and data analysis platforms with Agilent's full genomics lab solutions.

Just Launched:
              Agilent SureSelect Human All Exon 50Mb Kit; Provides the most complete definition of the human exome on the market!
              8/4/2010

SANTA CLARA, Calif. And CAMBRIDGE, England, Aug. 4, 2010 –

Agilent Technologies Inc. (NYSE: A) today introduced the SureSelect Human All Exon 50 Mb Target Enrichment kit for next-generation DNA sequencing. The kit enables researchers to streamline experiments by sequencing the expressed genome while discarding regions that are not of interest.
              Last edited by KevinLam; 11-14-2010, 09:41 PM. Reason: added info
              http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses