Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small RNA Library Sequencing on NextSeq

Does anyone have experience sequencing small RNA libraries on the NextSeq? We are consistently getting low cluster densities (140-150K/mm2) even with a 10% PhiX spike-in to increase diversity. The libraries were made with the NEBNext Small RNA Kit.

There is clearly low diversity in the libraries by looking @ the post-run specs, so I thought that increasing the PhiX while leaving loading concentration the same would help the issue (Quality scores have been great with %Q30 above 80%). What I actually found was that increasing the PhiX any more than 10% dropped cluster density even further.

I would truly appreciate any thoughts on this. Thanks!

Updates

Any updates on this? we are having similar issues!

Comment

We never really figured out what was going on with my previously mentioned observations. What I can say is that we have seen much better clustering of our small RNA libraries on the NextSeq over the past 6 months. We quantify by Qubit/BioA and load @ 1.8-2.2 pM.

Comment

On the same matter

Hi,
        We consider using nextseq instead of hiseq for sequencing small RNAs in C. elegans, but the rumor has it that the results tend to have serious problems with:
        A. strong biases for the first nucleotides (or even more specifically - G as the 1st nuc)
        B. hard time sequencing repetitive reads.
        Have you experienced any of these problems?
        Thanks in advance,
        Pavo

Comment

I have not noticed problem A (it is something I may look into... but it sounds like a conflated library-creation issue) and have no experience with problem B. But I will add that NextSeq has substantially lower quality than HiSeq, in my experience, so I suggest you carefully consider whether the decreased sequencing cost on a NextSeq is justified. Normal RNA-seq quantification is quite tolerant of error. Small RNAs... well, microRNAs are so short that you normally want to map them allowing zero mismatches. So, any errors are bad, and biased errors are extremely bad. But since they are so short, errors decrease the signal-to-noise ratio much more than they would for longer sequences, even if you allow zero mismatches, because with a 17-mer (for example) you can easily get coincidental perfect matches from reads with errors.

Unless you do not care about very short RNAs (under 50bp or so), I suggest you use the highest-quality platform available, which is MiSeq or HiSeq 2500. You can improve things a lot by merging overlapping reads, too, so aim for read lengths that substantially overlap (by at least 50% of the read length, or ideally 100%, if you want to minimize errors) in the size range of interest.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
          • seqadmin
            The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
            by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
            02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
          0 responses