Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation 150nt single-end vs 2x75nt paired-end

We are in the planning phase for an experiment that requires sequencing of a DNA pool of length about 140bp. It is crucial that the entire fragment is sequenced. Platform will be Nextseq500 or MiSeq, depending on what the Power Analysis will demand as sufficient read depth for what we want to do. Anyway, I would like to ask for your advice on the running mode. Should we perform 150bp single-end or 2x75bp paired-end sequencing? I ask because typically base quality decreases towards the end 3' end. Is it therefore advisable to run it paired and then merge the two reads into a consensus sequence?

Originally posted by atpoint View Post
    We are in the planning phase for an experiment that requires sequencing of a DNA pool of length about 140bp. It is crucial that the entire fragment is sequenced. Platform will be Nextseq500 or MiSeq, depending on what the Power Analysis will demand as sufficient read depth for what we want to do. Anyway, I would like to ask for your advice on the running mode. Should we perform 150bp single-end or 2x75bp paired-end sequencing? I ask because typically base quality decreases towards the end 3' end. Is it therefore advisable to run it paired and then merge the two reads into a consensus sequence?
    I don't really know what your application is, but leaving yourself only 5 bp overlap for the reads at 2x75 doesn't sound like its the ideal strategy for flashing reads. How much fidelity do you need over the length? What is wrong with 2x150 anyway?

Comment

150 cycle kit have enough reagents for 175 cycles so if you are doing single index read or no index read then you can can increase paired end read length to paired end 83-84 to have enough sequence for flashing. Paired end data quality should be better then single end longer read.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
      • seqadmin
        The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
        by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
        02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
      0 responses