Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MinION protocols?

Is there a site where I can find detailed protocols for library prep for MinION? A few days ago I signed up for the community, but I still don't have access to the community website. I would like to know more about what consumables and equipment is necessary for various library types. The "Equipment and consumables" pdf is rather general and suspect it does not cover all types of libraries.
    Jon

If you're doing the 15-minute rapid (1D) sequencing, then you'll need a small Blunt/TA ligase kit from NEB (M0367), less than 1μl is used, so it'll last for ages for the rapid sequencing prep.

For the standard gDNA (and/or amplicon) protocol, you'll need a bit more:
    • MyOne C1 Streptavidin beads (or equivalent)
    • AMPure XP beads (or equivalent)
    • Nuclease free water
    • NEB Blunt / TA Ligase Master Mix (50μl used per library, so it's fairly expensive)
    • NEBNext Ultra II End-repair / dA-tailing Module

Comment

maybe also add the NEBNext FFPE DNA Repair mix to repair the input DNA for the standard protocol. This was shown to increase sequence quality and length quite a bit.

Comment

Is it correct that the g-TUBES are optional?
        Is the Hula mixer really necessary; can't we just mix by hand?
        Could you suggest an alternative to the MyOne C1 Streptavidin beads? The smallest bottle would cost us as much as the MinION starter pack!
        Jon

Comment

1. Yes, g-Tubes are optional. You can fragment with a fine-bore pipette if you want something really cheap, or no fragmentation at all. The MinION will sequence reads over 50kbp, and just the act of pipetting will get reads down to that size unless you're really careful.
          2. A rotator works as well. I suppose you could mix gently by hand, but it's a 5-minute process -- do you really want to be slowly windmilling your hand for 5 minutes?
          3. Other beads are available, just make sure that you alter the initial added amount to correspond to the correct bead concentration.

Comment

Originally posted by gringer View Post
            1. Yes, g-Tubes are optional. You can fragment with a fine-bore pipette if you want something really cheap, or no fragmentation at all. The MinION will sequence reads over 50kbp, and just the act of pipetting will get reads down to that size unless you're really careful.
            2. A rotator works as well. I suppose you could mix gently by hand, but it's a 5-minute process -- do you really want to be slowly windmilling your hand for 5 minutes?
            3. Other beads are available, just make sure that you alter the initial added amount to correspond to the correct bead concentration.
            Thanks, this is very useful information.

We do have a bottle of Dynal M270 streptavidin beads, but it expired in 2012. I think the bottle has only been opened once, and it has always been stored at 4 C. Do you think we could still use it? As far as I can tell, the major difference between C1 and M270 is that the C1 has twice the binding capacity, and they are smaller (1 um versus 2.7 um for the M270).

Comment

My version of the 2D library protocol (2016/07/13).

Originally posted by gringer View Post
              Best is to fragment with syringe needle (if you have 4-10ug of DNA available per lib prep)
              In my case (for my second nanopore run) I had done the following:

1. Diluted my freshly preped DNA with NFW (you can use TE) to total of 400uL,
              2. Sheared it by passing through 21G 4' needle attached to 1ml syringe for 20 times
              (or use 26G one for 3-5 times),
              3. Than performed an Ampure XP wash at 0.45X ratio (+180 uL of beads). Incubate on the rotator for 10 min. Pellet at 60 degrees angle (help gravity and magnetic forse to work in the same direction for ~5min.
              4. Wash beads 3 times with 1mL of 70% ethanol.
              5. End repair/A-tailing times were set as per NEB recommendation (30 min each instead of 5). All library handling after this step was done with the large bore tips.
              6. Intermediate ampure XP washes were done on 0.45X ratio (instead of 1X),
              7. The first steps of the ligation had been done for 20 min on the RT and for 30 min in the fridge (ligating adapter with a huge helicase attached to it to a long (25-50kb) DNA fragment requires cool and quiet conditions for quite a while).
              8. The tether ligation was done for 20 min at the RT.
              9. Dynabeads streptavidine M280 beads were washed with the ONT kit's bead wash solution, leave to bind for 10 min.
              10. Pellet at angle ~60 degrees (to have gravity and magnetic field working in the same direction).
              11. Resuspend with extreme care - like cosmid library ligation tube flicking.
              12. Pellet again at an angle, and repeat the wash. Elute as per protocol.
              13. Make sure to degas the fuel mix and water used to prime the flowcell (otherwise there would be a lot of tiny bubbles over the ASIC array after a few hours @34 degrees).
              I had used an Eppendorf Concentrator Plus set to V-AQ mode for 90-180 sec @ 20 degrees.
              14. Entire library had been loaded.
              15. The run had started at -185 mV bias voltage, and by the 48h the voltage had gone to -250mV.

The modal RAW read length had been 8.5kb, and there was a long tail with a good fraction of 20kb, 30kb, even quite a few 60kb raw reads. Total RAW events had been ~450M.

PS: it looks like the manufacturers adapter ligation conditions had been optimised for the previous version of the kit, when there was no motor protein attached to the adapter during a ligation step. The attachment of the motor changes the adapter's molecular dynamics quite a bit (by increasing it's mass by ~2 orders of magnitude), which increases the time required for efficient ligation to the long DNA fragment - have a read of the BAC/YAC library construction protocols, ligation conditions section, to give you some more background info.

So the results had been a raw yiels of ~446M events, with the following raw reads distribution (see attachment):
              M160713_48h_raw_reads_histogram.png

For metrichor basecalling results see attachments: M160713_metrichor_48h_1D_res_c2.png and M160713_metrichor_48h_2D_res_c2.png
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Markiyan; 07-27-2016, 06:39 AM. Reason: clarifications/+results.

Comment

Take care with old streptavidine beads -there are quite a few things that can grow in

Originally posted by JBKri View Post
                Thanks, this is very useful information.

We do have a bottle of Dynal M270 streptavidin beads, but it expired in 2012. I think the bottle has only been opened once, and it has always been stored at 4 C. Do you think we could still use it? As far as I can tell, the major difference between C1 and M270 is that the C1 has twice the binding capacity, and they are smaller (1 um versus 2.7 um for the M270).
                I would be extremely wary of using it - check under the good microscope that there is nothing growing there (liquid is clear after standing in a fridge),
                PS: For larger fragments I think that the Dynabeads M270 would be a bit better (they have to swim with quite a long tails).

PPS: do not do pipette shearing - can generate quite a few short fragments/strabd breaks (my first go at nanopore). better use syringe needle fragmentation with freshly prepped DNA.

Comment

@Markiyan, if I may ask, how do you degas these buffers?

Comment

Just by using some slight vacuum.

Originally posted by nanos View Post
                    @Markiyan, if I may ask, how do you degas these buffers?
                    Just by using some slight vacuum without heat, so the dissolved gasses escape first. This was done using eppendorf concentrator for 90 sec (you do not want to actually to concentrate your buffers much, just get rid of the dissolved gasses).

Comment

Originally posted by Markiyan View Post
                      I would be extremely wary of using it - check under the good microscope that there is nothing growing there (liquid is clear after standing in a fridge), ...
                      Well, at 200x magnification, the liquid loooks clean and clear, and the beads look good...
                      Jon

Comment

Originally posted by Markiyan View Post
                        Best is to fragment with syringe needle (if you have 4-10ug of DNA available per lib prep)
                        What would you change if you were doing a library prep with only 300-500ng after shearing?

Do you have any ideas on modifications for the low input protocol (20ng)?

Comment

If one would to shear smaller ammounts of DNA - than get yourself the Hydroshear with custom assembly or megaruptor (so you can fragment in
                          smaller volume).

Make sure to us FPE repair mix if you DNA is not fresh or could have been damaged during prep.

If one is has 300-500 ng of DNA after shearing - I would keep 0.45X - 0.6X ampure beads ratio for 2D protocol (provided your sheared DNA is >2kb, and you want to loose small fragments). One may think about halving the ammount of adapter used in the ligation compared to 1ug input and extending ligation times.

For even lower ammounts of DNA:

One option can be using low input expansion kit (whole genome amplification) if your input is in the region of 20ng. Modify the ampure beads ratios and wash ethanol volumes as per main protocol.

Personally I deal with cultured samples, so it is not a problem to grow more if needed, but if you have a precious one, than practice on a not very important one, before moving to the precious ones.

PS: If you get any nice results using my modifications - please post the statistics (raw reads length distribution and 1D/2D basecalling quality reports), so the other users can have some idea about the impact.

If you had made any futher improvements to the protocol - please report them too, so others can benefit.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions @Markiyan.

I have modified the amount of ampure in the low input protocol in the past. The results have always been the same. This is probably due to low amounts of DNA in the entire solution and adjusting the beads amount just showed that I was wasting beads by doing a 1:1. I would probably have to go to a lower ratio of ampure to size select low input….but do I really want to…

Secondly, I have been running metagenomic extractions, so DNA has been sheared and beaten by beads. When I performed FFPE repair on low input in the past it showed no difference in quality or read length.

I did try extending ligation in hope that longer fragments in my low input were not getting enough attention. Unfortunately, I had an overwhelming amount of intermolecular ligation; my chimeric reads were very high. More dilute conditions probably would mitigate it and the right pmol amount of adapters for each run but then again beads beaten low input DNA doesn’t really have a size disruption.

ONT also released their views on low input protocol being sub optimal and I should turn to PCR DNA to get higher quality reads.

What extraction method do you use for cultured samples? I know people have used isolate II genomic DNA kit but your quality/quantity look great.

I will update when I run more sample test.

Comment

From the equip for Nanopore Sequencing Kit gDNA protocol, one of the listed consumable is 10 mM Tris-HCl pH 8.5. Anyone knows which step would use this buffer? Could 10 mM Tris-HCl pH 8.0 be used instead? Thanks.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              0 responses