Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input files for Roche GSMapper

I am using GSMapper to assemble 454 reads to a reference bovine genome.
    I would like to specify a reference genome annotation and so that my variations can be easily identified as occurring in coding regions or not.
    I have been over and over the documentation and done alot of searching but I just can't work out what format and directory structure to put my reference genome in!
    In the manual it says "the format of this file must match that of the GoldenPath 'refGene.txt' file" but then it doesn't go into any detail.
    I understand that this refGene.txt is something that can be downloaded from UCSC but I am working with the bovine genome, so my reference genome will be from NCBI in genbank format.
    I would also like to input known SNPs and that's a whole other problem, but would be quite simple I think if I knew how to do the reference genome.
    If someone could please give me an idiot's guide to the format and directory structure that my input files need to be in that would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

It is not that hard to set up, presuming you have Bos taurus as genome:

Set up the following folders
    goldenpath (or whatever name suits you)
    goldenpath/bt4.0
    goldenpath/bt4.0/chromosomes
    goldenpath/bt4.0/database

In the chromosome folder, add the ('untarred') chromosome sequences from

In the database folder, add the ('untarred') refGene.txt file from

Set the GOLDENPATH environment variable to this folder, e.g. (in the bash shell):
    export GOLDENPATH=/your/folders/goldenPath/
    Map reads using:
    runMapping bt4.0 reads.sff

Check the 454HCDiffs.txt and 454AllDiffs.txt, they should show the annotation of any variants in the lines starting with '>'.

It's magic!

There does not seem to be a snp file for cow at UCSC, but you could make a file similar to the human one located here:

Good luck!

Comment

That worked perfectly, thank you! Now just to get my SNP file correct

Comment

Dear All
        I have problems using galdenPath with gs mapper (v 2.5.3)
        Could anybody help me to find the correct file for human mitochondria? Is it possible to build the file by myself? Have you ever done?
        Thanks in advance
        Estefania

Comment

I want to do the same but with human genome... can I specify a file just for the gene I'm using?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses