No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mosaik Alignment Problems

Dear SEQanswers community,

I am trying to use MosaikAligner on paired end Illumina reads. I first ran MosaikBuild on my reference sequence, (to get hg18_combined.dat) and then on the paired fastq files
    (to get mosaikpaired_test.dat) and then built a jump database from hg18_combined.dat with a hash size of 15. however, when I try to run MosaikAligner, the whole process
    freezes up, and MosaikAligner tells me that it needs ~100 days to complete the alignment. The terminal output is documented below:
    Code:
    [rd389@c065 bin]$ ./MosaikAligner -ia hg18_combined.dat -in mosaikpaired_test.dat -out mosaikpaired_test.out.dat -a fast -hs 15 -p 8 -j hg18_combined.dat.jump
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    MosaikAligner 1.0.1388                                              2010-02-01
    Michael Stromberg & Wan-Ping Lee  Marth Lab, Boston College Biology Department
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Using the following alignment algorithm: single position (fast)
    - Using the following alignment mode: aligning reads to all possible locations
    - Using a maximum mismatch threshold of 4
    - Using a hash size of 15
    - Using 8 processors
    - Using a jump database for hashing. Storing keys & positions in memory.
    - loading jump keys database into memory... finished.
    - loading jump positions database into memory... finished.
    - loading reference sequence... finished.

Aligning read library (1999937):
     0% [                                     ]    0.2410 reads/s ETA 96.0 days
    Is there something about the formatting of my command that is wrong? Or is there another processing step before alignment that I have failed to complete? Hope to hear back from mosaik users.

thanks in advance
    -Rahul Dhodapkar

Also, if anyone has the email address of Dr. Stromberg or Dr. Lee, I have been trying to find them, but haven't been able to.

-Rahul

Comment

I think if your command was wrongly formated, MOSAIK would have exited with an error instead of starting to align. I've only used it on single end reads so I don't know how it performs on paired end. How long did you wait and did it produce any output?
      You could try setting the -bw parameter to a higher value to speed up the mapping. The value must be an odd number and depends on the read length, see manual. And maybe try -ls <radius> to enable local alignment search for PE reads.

The manual says Michael Strömbergs email is mikaels ][at][ bc >.< edu
      You could also take a look at http://code.google.com/p/mosaik-aligner/

Good luck

Barbara
      Last edited by ECO; 09-14-2010, 08:41 AM. Reason: edited to slightly obscure that poor guy's email address.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses