Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting nucleotide-space to color-space

Does anybody know where could I find a tool to convert a nucleotide-space sequence to a color-space sequence?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Originally posted by javijevi View Post
    Does anybody know where could I find a tool to convert a nucleotide-space sequence to a color-space sequence?
    I've found such a tool in the bin directory of Corona_Lite distribution. Its name is encodeFasta.py. It could be used for several interconversions (color-space, double-encoded, nucleotide-space).

One caveat is that nucleotides to be converted to color-space must be all uppercase.

Any experience with this tool?

Any other similar tool?

Comment

Aside from the mentioned need for capital letters plus a requirement for only ACGTN the encodeFasta.py program works fine. Validate your sequence using reference_validation.pl first. Why ABI did not combine these two programs into one ... well, that is water under the bridge. People really should be using Bioscope instead of Corona Lite.

Comment

From what I can make out, when working with base sapace, encodeFasta.py can only convert to double encoded. What do I do if I want my nucleotide data in actual color space format?

Comment

Originally posted by westerman View Post
          . People really should be using Bioscope instead of Corona Lite.
          If Bioscope were more readily available. Now it has been moved to a cloud-based pay-to-use service. That's not useful for those of us who already have computing infrastructures.

Comment

Originally posted by zee View Post
            If Bioscope were more readily available. Now it has been moved to a cloud-based pay-to-use service. That's not useful for those of us who already have computing infrastructures.
            I am not aware that Bioscope is exclusively on the cloud. Certainly I am running the latest on our own hardware.

The solidbioscope.com cloud option at $1900/month looks like it would handle the processing of a single SOLiD machine with some wiggle room for extra needs.

As for availability you can download bioscope from a web site so, in my mind, it becomes rather easy to get. You may have to ask your LifeTech representative for the web site address. Also it may be true that Bioscope will cost something -- or perhaps not. We get it for free and can, as far as I know, let our customers run the software. But that may because we own a SOLiD and thus the cost, if any, may be part of our instrument's annual maintenance fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Temima View Post
              From what I can make out, when working with base sapace, encodeFasta.py can only convert to double encoded. What do I do if I want my nucleotide data in actual color space format?
              encodeFasta can go to and from base-space to color-space and vice-versa. It can go from base-space to double-encoded and vice-versa. Look at the command line parameters '-n' and '-d'. Or in your case the not using those parameters.

Comment

a belated huge thank you westerman!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses