No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size Selection after fragmentation

Hey there,

This is my first post here - thanks for reading it!

I'm rather lost. I'm prepping some samples for RNA-Seq, but in all four of my samples, I lose ~80-90% of my product at the mRNA fragmentation and cleanup step. I am using eukaryotic mRNA and am fragmenting with heat (94 C for 5 minutes) as per the protocol of the kit I'm using, which says these setting are ideal for fragmenting eukaryotic mRNA into 200 bp fragments.

After fragmentation, I am doing a clean-up of the mRNA using 1.8X AmPure XP beads. Somewhere during these two steps I am dropping from ~ 5 ng/ul mRNA to 0.8 ng/ul fragmented mRNA, on average as demonstrated by BioAnalyzer, with some of my samples dropping to dangerously low levels (.2 ng/ul). The average size of my fragments is ~ 100-150 bp.

Any idea why I'm losing so much product?

My goal for the fragment size is 200 bp and I'd like to retain as much of it as possible (obviously). I'm thinking my next step should be to decrease the amount of time at 94 C to 4 minutes and to increase the concentration of AmPure to 2.4X, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Most kits do not cleanup fragmented RNA and go straight to 1st strand synthesis which avoids any loss. I would not use such a kit. AMPure XP bead is not suitable for RNA and may result in RNA degradation. It meant to be used for DNA.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses