No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing RGSM without changing any RGID, RGPL etc

Hi there,
    I have a bam file which was created by merging the two bam files – each a different run of same sample. Somehow while adding the read group information I added the wrong sample name to it.

Now I want to replace the Sample Name to correct sample name. I know I can use picard tool 'AddOrReplaceReadGroup' or samtools but it changes all the read group info. What I want is replacing new SM info only

What I have is:
    @RG ID:A PL:ILLUMINA LB:250BP SM:X
    @RG ID:B PL:ILLUMINA LB:250BP SM:X

What I want is:

@RG ID:A PL:ILLUMINA PU:NA LB:250BP SM:Y
    @RG ID:B PL:ILLUMINA PU:NA LB:250BP SM:Y

Let me know if this can be done easily without going back to the original bam files and merging them again after changing the SM info in each
    Thanks
    Last edited by akhattri; 10-25-2013, 08:32 PM.

I'm not quite sure if I get the question that you're asking. There's a 'samtools reheader' function that allows you to replace headers in a BAM file with the header from a [possibly empty] SAM file.

FWIW, the read groups specified on the mapping lines must link back to a read group line in the header -- in the BAM representation, this is an integer lookup, while in the SAM representation this is a unique ID. See SAM Specification, page 3:

Each @RG line must have a unique ID. The value of ID is used in the RG tags of alignment records. Must be unique among all read groups in header section

Comment

Thanks gringer. I found a post describing the similar way to do it:

samtools view -H mybamfile.bam | sed -e 's/SM:X/SM:Y/' | samtools reheader - mybamfile.bam > mybamfile.reheadered.bam

I validated the output BAM file with ValidateSAM. Seems like it has worked. But I will post here if I encounter any problem with this file.
      Thanks

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses