No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to filter a possible DNA contamination in fastq sample reads

Hello everybody,

I've received an "old project" for analysis, where I should try to filter some background signal from the sequencing, that is supposed to come from a contamination during the pre-sequencing stages (a technically complex isolation procedure, as far as I was told) . The DNA to analyze comes from some kind of vacuolar vesicles that are expected to carry DNA and RNA. The isolation procedure yielded Nuclear DNA (apparently from a male, since Y chromosome sequences appear also in the female sample) apart from the DNA in the vesicles (that was supposed to be sequenced exclusively).
    After mapping the fastq sequences to the reference genome, I displayed it on SeqMonk and then the problem became more visually obvious. There is a background signal that covers the whole reference genome with mapped regions, although there are some places where signal increases (I´d like to think it's due to the DNA from the vesicles, but I seems it could just be a mere sequencing artifact).
    My intention was trying to filter the background generated from the Nuclear DNA contaminant somehow, and then display those regions of interest(the vesicles DNA).

The question is, do you think this filtering may be possible or even worthy, or should I tell the researchers that there's no chance to "save" their sequence data for an accurate analysis?
    If any of you has any idea on how to filter that "contamination" sequence data, would you please enlighten me.

With best wishes

JL

You could try to filter the data with one of the tools used for ChIP-Seq peak calling. Conceptually, it's the same problem: you're looking for enrichment of specific sequences against a background of total genomic DNA.

Convincing yourself that the peaks are real and not artifacts is a different problem... :-)

Comment

Thank you very much HESmith,

You've just told me what I most feared to hear...but still expected.
      The DNA amount in the vesicles is so low that after peak calling, I think I've called more artifacts than anything else.
      I guess bad samples lead to an impossible analysis.

Thank you very much for your answer anyway...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses