Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Target enrichment from pooled libraries

Does anyone have any experience performing target enrichment from pooled libraries ? We're very interested in performing SureSelect (Agilent) in-solution capture (or array-based capture) with pooled libraries (SOLiD or Illumina). We'd like to pool 16 barcoded libraries and perform a single enrichment. Has anyone tried this ?

We would expect there to be a limit to the number of individuals that can be pooled, while still retaining sufficient sequence complexity after hybridization across all targets.

We're interested in doing what sounds like a nearly identical procedure at our institution. We're planning on using Illumina's multiplexing (barcoding) kit followed by SureSelect. We'd love to know the expected efficiency and variation in read representation between subsamples.

Comment

Hi guys,

I've enriched a set of 9 indexed samples using 1 Agilent sureselect assay. I got very even representation of the indexed samples in the final sequenced data (9.4-11.7% representation of each indexed sample in the final pool).
      I did have a lot of off-target reads though, on average only 21% of our reads were on-target, however I had relaxed the default repeat masking during array design to allow me to design baits for regions normally masked and am pretty sure it's responsible for most of the off-target reads.

My target was just over 300Kb and I got on average just under 1700 fold enrichment of my target region so I was fairly pleased with the results- not bad for a first go

I think expected on-target reads is ~60% (if you don't mess with the repeat masker!). I'm pretty sure we will increase our on-target reads with our next array design.

Elaine

Comment

Elaine -- This is a good result ! We're getting ready to hybridize a pool of 16 indexed libraries with a SureSelect assay targeted at ~1.5Mb. We'll let you know how it goes.
        Michael

Comment

This is great news, and I'll look forward to more posts about the effectiveness of the protocol. We'll be ordering our selection kit soon and I'll do my best to post with the quality of our results as well.

Comment

Originally posted by elaney_k View Post
            Hi guys,

I've enriched a set of 9 indexed samples using 1 Agilent sureselect assay. I got very even representation of the indexed samples in the final sequenced data (9.4-11.7% representation of each indexed sample in the final pool).
            I did have a lot of off-target reads though, on average only 21% of our reads were on-target, however I had relaxed the default repeat masking during array design to allow me to design baits for regions normally masked and am pretty sure it's responsible for most of the off-target reads.

My target was just over 300Kb and I got on average just under 1700 fold enrichment of my target region so I was fairly pleased with the results- not bad for a first go

I think expected on-target reads is ~60% (if you don't mess with the repeat masker!). I'm pretty sure we will increase our on-target reads with our next array design.

Elaine
            Hi Elaine,

those are indeed good results - and I agree that messing with the repeat masker may be the sole reason for lower on-target reads.

How did you quantify your samples prior to pooling them? Was this bioanalyzer, qpcr, nanodrop....?

Thanks!

Comment

Thanks guys!

I quantified the samples using a qubit flourimeter (Invitrogen) as it can quantify dsDNA even in the presence of ssDNA e.g. primers. I wouldn't recommend a nanodrop or bioanalyzer for quantification.

Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,

I'll be using the qpcr approach - I agree on the nanodrop and bioanalyzer remark. unfortunately we don't have the qubit flourimeter - would make it a lot easier than the qpcr, IMO.

Comment

Hi guys,

Shameless plug I know but we finally managed to publish the multiplex target enrichment study for anyone that's still interested in it

Multiplex Target Enrichment Using DNA Indexing for Ultra-High Throughput SNP Detection. Kenny EM, Cormican P, Gilks WP, Gates AS, O'Dushlaine CT, Pinto C, Corvin AP, Gill M, Morris DW. DNA Res. 2010 Dec 16 PMID: 21163834

Elaine

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                    by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                    04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                  • seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                  0 responses