SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
illumina small RNA sample prep v1.5 won337 Illumina/Solexa 7 03-31-2015 07:02 AM
Alternative to TruSeq RNA sample prep kit ETHANol Illumina/Solexa 3 08-02-2013 06:44 AM
miRNA precipitation prior to Illumina TruSeq Small RNA lib prep mdubs Sample Prep / Library Generation 7 06-19-2013 07:24 AM
Index bias for TruSeq small RNA sample prep sotoole Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 05-22-2012 11:45 AM
Making the TruSeq RNA-sample prep kit go further? James Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 06-20-2011 10:46 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Sciurus
Member
 
Location: Vancouver

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
Default Bioanalyzer: What are these huge fragments (after Illumina TruSeq RNA sample prep)?

Hi everybody,

This has been my second time doing a library prep using total RNA from plants. I used the Illumina TruSeq RNA sample prep kit v2.
Last time, everything worked all fine but this time after the final pcr step, the bioanalyzer results all show a huge peak at the beginning of the curve (see attachment).

Can anybody tell me what this is, where it could have come from and what I could do next?

Thanks!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Bioanalyzer.png (49.1 KB, 151 views)
Sciurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Mike2188
Member
 
Location: Winnipeg

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 24
Default

Hey,

I am surprised nobody has answered this yet, but it looks like you overamplified your library. What happens is that you run out of sequencing primers, whether as a result of a) not enough sequencing primer, b) too much template added, or c) running an excessive amount of PCR cycles. When the reactions run out of primer, the template starts annealing to itself and forming these long concatemers. You should try redoing the library with a smaller template input and fewer PCR cycles.

Hope this helps!
Mike2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Chipper
Senior Member
 
Location: Sweden

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 324
Default

In the lane shown it looks more like ladder contamination or some weird adapter concatamers, if you were referring to the spikey patern in the long end.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
ECO
--Site Admin--
 
Location: SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,355
Default

Someone bumped the table during the run (spikes) , and your library is overamplified...
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
Sciurus
Member
 
Location: Vancouver

Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 23
Default

Thanks, guys!
Yes, that's what we concluded in the end too - overamplification of the library due to too much starting material + too many pcr cycles.

I am redoing the library.
Sciurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Mike2188
Member
 
Location: Winnipeg

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 24
Default

Some people have sequenced overamplified libraries with success if redoing is expensive or not much of an option. Also, people have reannealed their libraries. What happens is the DNA forms ds products that aren't complementary near the middle so they run funny on the bioanalyzer or gels, but they still have relevant sequencing information.

Best of luck with the rest of your experiment!
Mike2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bioanalyzer, rna prep, truseq

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO