SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
illumina small RNA sample prep v1.5 won337 Illumina/Solexa 7 03-31-2015 07:02 AM
Alternative to TruSeq RNA sample prep kit ETHANol Illumina/Solexa 3 08-02-2013 06:44 AM
miRNA precipitation prior to Illumina TruSeq Small RNA lib prep mdubs Sample Prep / Library Generation 7 06-19-2013 07:24 AM
Index bias for TruSeq small RNA sample prep sotoole Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 05-22-2012 11:45 AM
Making the TruSeq RNA-sample prep kit go further? James Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 06-20-2011 10:46 AM

Old 12-10-2013, 04:51 AM   #1
Sciurus

Default Bioanalyzer: What are these huge fragments (after Illumina TruSeq RNA sample prep)?

Hi everybody,

This has been my second time doing a library prep using total RNA from plants. I used the Illumina TruSeq RNA sample prep kit v2.
Last time, everything worked all fine but this time after the final pcr step, the bioanalyzer results all show a huge peak at the beginning of the curve (see attachment).

Can anybody tell me what this is, where it could have come from and what I could do next?

Thanks!!!
Attached Images
File Type: png Bioanalyzer.png (49.1 KB, 151 views)
Sciurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Mike2188

Hey,

I am surprised nobody has answered this yet, but it looks like you overamplified your library. What happens is that you run out of sequencing primers, whether as a result of a) not enough sequencing primer, b) too much template added, or c) running an excessive amount of PCR cycles. When the reactions run out of primer, the template starts annealing to itself and forming these long concatemers. You should try redoing the library with a smaller template input and fewer PCR cycles.

Hope this helps!
Mike2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Chipper

In the lane shown it looks more like ladder contamination or some weird adapter concatamers, if you were referring to the spikey patern in the long end.
Chipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:53 PM   #4
ECO
--Site Admin--

Someone bumped the table during the run (spikes) , and your library is overamplified...
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:35 AM   #5
Sciurus

Thanks, guys!
Yes, that's what we concluded in the end too - overamplification of the library due to too much starting material + too many pcr cycles.

I am redoing the library.
Sciurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
Mike2188

Some people have sequenced overamplified libraries with success if redoing is expensive or not much of an option. Also, people have reannealed their libraries. What happens is the DNA forms ds products that aren't complementary near the middle so they run funny on the bioanalyzer or gels, but they still have relevant sequencing information.

Best of luck with the rest of your experiment!
Mike2188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioanalyzer, rna prep, truseq