No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increasing the length of the kmers od Spades beyond 127

Hi,
    is there a way to increase the length of the kmers used by spades 3.5 beyond 127? Because I tried different kmers and I saw that the quality of the assembly is better with longer kmers.
    My reads are pretty long so I think it shouldn't be a problem to use bigger kmers.
    I have not much experience with spades, or with bioinformatics in general, so I hope my question is not woefully stupid.
    Thanks to everyone for the future answers

Bump

I am facing the same issue as well and would like to know how to do this. Would it be similar to the way we increase it on velvet?

Comment

You may specify the length of the kmers by adding " -k <int,int,...> " to default query "spades.py [options] -o <output_dir>".

There is written in the manual:
      " Comma-separated list of k-mer sizes to be used (all values must be odd, less than 128 and listed in ascending order). "

Comment

Originally posted by Andrei D. View Post
        You may specify the length of the kmers by adding " -k <int,int,...> " to default query "spades.py [options] -o <output_dir>".

There is written in the manual:
        " Comma-separated list of k-mer sizes to be used (all values must be odd, less than 128 and listed in ascending order). "
        @ronaldrcutler wants to know (based on other threads posted here and on Biostars) if a value of more than 127 can be used in some way (clearly the software currently is limited at that level)?

Are you from the group that developed SPAdes? If yes then can you provide an answer for that.

Comment

No, I'm basically wet biologist from another group and don't know answer to this question.

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
            @ronaldrcutler wants to know (based on other threads posted here and on Biostars) if a value of more than 127 can be used in some way (clearly the software currently is limited at that level)?
            Yes this is exactly what I'm looking for since doing assemblies in other programs with a larger size yields better contigs and kmer size predictors also indicate that a high kmer should be at least tried.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaldrcutler View Post
              Yes this is exactly what I'm looking for since doing assemblies in other programs with a larger size yields better contigs and kmer size predictors also indicate that a high kmer should be at least tried.
              Current limit is 127 with SPAdes unless you have programmatic chops to look in the source code to see if that can be changed.

You can email SPAdes support with this question: spades.support at bioinf.spbau.ru

Post their solution/answer here if you hear back.

Comment

Any update on this?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                  by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                  04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                • seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                0 responses