No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low DNA concentration and Illumnia MIseq

Hello all,

I want to do Illumina miseq on total DNA extracted from feacal microbes to check the relative abundance of different microflora.

Problem is that i am getting very low DNA concentration the samples i am using to extract DNA, I am using Qiagen stool DNA extaction kit and the concentration i am getting on Nanodrop 2000 is very low ( I.e. less than 10 ng/ul in most of the sample).

I have also performed gel electrophresis to check the molecular band of my total DNA, and the band i am getting is very shallow against Hind II Lamda marker.

I want to know if that concentration is enough to do PCR amplification for the Illumina Miseq to get the sequencing library ?

Regards,

Umair

Hi Umair,

this amount of DNA can be sufficient.
    You want to sequence the genomic DNA sequences and not 16S sequencing?
    There are plenty of low input genomic library prep protocols around: Qiaseq UltraLow Input, Rubicon Genomics Thruplex, Kapa Hyper, NEB Ultra, BiooScientific,
    For metagenomic sequencing usually PE150 bp reads on HiSeq sequencers are used.

Comment

Sorry if i didn't make it clear in the first post, i am new to next gen sequencing.

Usually for gut microbes we do 16s sequencing, so i will do 16s sequencing...

Do you think that this concentration is enough for 16s ?

Comment

Originally posted by mumairba View Post
        Sorry if i didn't make it clear in the first post, i am new to next gen sequencing.

Usually for gut microbes we do 16s sequencing, so i will do 16s sequencing...

Do you think that this concentration is enough for 16s ?
        Your DNA is more than adequate for 16S metagenomics. 16S libraries are created entirely by PCR so only a tiny amount of input DNA is required. 16S amplicon sequencing is nearly always done with PE250 reads on the MiSeq.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
        • seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses