SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > The Pipeline

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bowtie advantages over tophat frymor Bioinformatics 3 10-14-2011 08:23 AM
Need ideas about the advantages of Blast2Go byou678 Bioinformatics 5 08-27-2011 11:47 AM
advantages and disadvantages of adapter barcoding? seqgirl123 Illumina/Solexa 1 10-07-2009 03:54 AM
PubMed: Advantages of next-generation sequencing versus the microarray in epigenetic Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 06-19-2009 06:00 AM
PubMed: Advantages and limitations of next-generation sequencing technologies: A comp Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 12-05-2008 06:02 AM

Old 09-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
rubenken

Default Advantages of third-generation

Based on what's known today, what factors would enter into selecting the new PacBio analyzer versus, say, the HiSeq2000 for either whole genome or exome resequencing?
rubenken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #2
krobison

From the specs I've seen, PacBio will not initially be cost-effective vs. HiSeq in those domains.

Strengths for PacBio are very rapid turnaround, relatively simple sample prep, low cost per run (really "shot") and very long read lengths. In my mind, whole genome sequencing doesn't leverage any of those & quick back-of-envelope calculations put a PacBio human genome at many times an Illumina or SOLiD one.
krobison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Michael.James.Clark

In short, my opinion one wouldn't choose one over the other. The PacBio, in my opinion, fills a different niche than the HiSeq2000/SOLiD4/etc. Therefore, optimally you would have multiple platforms for their specific purposes. In PacBio's case, scaffolding and potentially base kinetics come to mind as things it does that the other major platforms don't.
Michael.James.Clark is offline   Reply With Quote