Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paired end errors with Picard ValidateSamFile

I am analyzing an experiment in which paired end sequencing was used to sequence exomes from a number of samples. All of the mapping and bam files were created using lifescope. We ran barcoded samples with multiple samples/lane and multiple lanes/sample. The bam files produced from each lane were merged to create one bam file for each sample. When I run the Picard ValidateSamFile command, I get the following errors:

Mate alignment does not match alignment start of mate
    Mate negative strand flag does not match read negative strand flag of mate
    Both mates are marked as second of pair

This indicates that the alignments across mate pairs do not coincide. I am concerned about the validity of these alignments. Should they be filtered out prior to downstream processing? Picard has a tool FixMateInformation but I can't find any information on what this tool actually does. I assume it either deletes the offending reads or forces the information across mate pairs to coincide.

Does anyone have more experience with these errors? Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Mike

There is very similar thread on the samtools mailing list today with some good advice...

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      Yesterday, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses