No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TruSeq Cluster Generation

Hi All,

I've noticed that using the TruSeq genomic library prep kit, rather than my own stock of enzymes/materials, has yielded a much higher cluster density even when both samples are equimolar.

My theory is that the Illumina kit is working better than my own reagents, so the percent of successfully adapter-ligated DNA is higher, or somehow their proprietary blend of adapters work better than the ones I order from IDT. I do not have qPCR to quantify this, but I was just wondering if others had theories or noticed the same type of thing happening with their libraries.

Thanks!

We've seen the same thing. We've had a few TruSeq RNA libraries that have over clustered recently. I found your post after searching to see if anyone else had similar issues. We are thinking of switching the concentration we run all TruSeq libraries down to 11pM from our usual 13pM to compensate.

Comment

Concentration by qPCR? Or fluorimetry?

--
      Phillip

Comment

We generally use fluorescence (QuBit) and the average size from the Bioanalyser. It seemed to work really well for the old paired end assay and any homebrew method.
        We also qPCR'd some of the TruSeq 10nM stock that gave us overclustering and we found no correlation between which samples did over cluster and which seemed fine. There was some correlation between our fluorescence estimate and the qPCR though.

Comment

Hello Tony,
          We have been doing 'home brew' for a few years now and get good clusters but like you we have seen superior clustering with the TruSeq kit generated libraries. With the v5 kits and SCS2.9/RTA1.9 we have been loading 11-12 pM for our home brew libraries and getting fairly consistent cluster numbers (unless we use our indexed adapters ). We also quantify with Qubit. My suspicion is that the kit is way more efficient at the ligation step.

Comment

Probably some property of the secret oligos that Illumina includes in its "PPC" (PCR primer cocktail) of the TruSeq kit.

--
            Phillip

Comment

So very true! They are definitely a lot more secretive than they used to be before they sucked us all in!

Comment

Originally posted by protist View Post
                Hello Tony,
                We have been doing 'home brew' for a few years now and get good clusters but like you we have seen superior clustering with the TruSeq kit generated libraries. With the v5 kits and SCS2.9/RTA1.9 we have been loading 11-12 pM for our home brew libraries and getting fairly consistent cluster numbers (unless we use our indexed adapters ). We also quantify with Qubit. My suspicion is that the kit is way more efficient at the ligation step.
                If it were just the ligation step, then Tony's qPCR assay would sort that out.
                I think TruSeq amplicons may be more "flow-cell-trophic" and thus attach to the flow cell at higher titres than non-TruSeq amplicons.

--
                Phillip

Comment

So very true! They are definitely a lot more secretive than they used to be before they sucked us all in!
                  Yes, very irritating. They really are treating the PPC oligos like a state secret. Ridiculous. I'm sure their competitors already know what they are (if they care.)

So the ones left in the dark are their customers.

I wonder if the granting agencies could just ban this sort of behavior among vendors selling to researchers funded by public monies?

--
                  Phillip

Comment

I vaguely remember Illumina mention that they use freakishly high thresholds for oligo quality in the TruSeq kits.....or maybe they were just using that as a reason why the kits are twice the price of homebrew.

Comment

Still -- run the PCR Primer Cocktail oligos on a lab chip -- they look ~80 nt long! So something is probably going on there.

--
                      Phillip

Comment

It is my guess, and this is purely a guess based on that fact that Phillip has seen that the oligos are much longer then what seems possible, is that the TruSeq PCR Primer Cocktail has 'overhanging sequence' which is probably extra binding sequences beyond what is in the adapters. If my TruSeq kit ever comes (I've been waiting over a month) I will Sanger sequence the amplicons to try to get to the bottom of this. If someone could mass spec them that would be nice!!! Alternatively they could contain LNA residues as well to enhance binding to the flow cell.

Illumina's kits are great, but for some applications we really do need to make the libraries with home-brew protocols, e.g. no TruSeq ChIP-seq kit yet, MeDIP-seq, 4C-seq, etc. And their delivery times to Greece doesn't mix well with the pace at which I like to do science.
                        --------------
                        Ethan

Comment

By the way, TUFCS JSS you can check out my last couple runs which were done with you guys. Both had low cluster formation and were done with homemade primers similar to what is shown on your protocols. They were highly amplified libraries quantified by qPCR so the problem was not that there was material without adapters causing a high reading.

My guess to the cause:
                          1) Unused PCR primer in the library competing for binding to the flowcell. Now I'm using Ampure XP to purify the PCR product so this shouldn't be a problem with my next samples.
                          2) There is something different about Illumina's PCR primer cocktail (see above post). For now, I assume it is probably best to just understate the library concentration.
                          --------------
                          Ethan

Comment

TUFC, one question, how many cluster were generated compared to how many you would get with TruSeq kits?
                            --------------
                            Ethan

Comment

Hello Tony,
                              When we use our indexed primer, the cluster formation is not succesful.
                              Do you happen to know why it is like that?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
                              • seqadmin
                                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses