Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cufflinks -g option yields many 0 FPKM transcripts and annotates them interestingly

Hi

I've just started using the -g option in the newest version of cufflinks. I've found that it then creates a whole bunch of transcripts that are specified as 0 in the FPKM, as well as in high low conf. FPKM columns. It's easy to filter this after but I find that it's interesting that they are created initially.

Second I've found that when looking in the GENES file the transcripts are tagged as OK or LOWCOVERAGE. Here transcripts with a low-conf FPKM of 0 and any of the other FPKM fields above 0 are flagged as lowcoverage while transcripts with FPKM of 0 and all fields > 0 are OK. Once again it's easy to change the OK to not expressed or similar but it would be nice to not having to do this.

So my questions are 1, has anybody else seen this and 2, have anyone information regarding how "true" the prescence of transcripts are?

Sincerely

/Petter

Hi Petter,

I'm still pretty new to this all, so if anyone spots a wrong statement below, please feel free to point it out.

As for question 1, I think this is an inherent property of the -g (RABT) option, which tiles reference transcripts with faux reads wether the transcript is expressed in your sample or not (see http://cufflinks.cbcb.umd.edu/howitworks#hrga ). If you take your output through Cuffcompare, the "-R" option should remove any reference *.gtf transcript not expressed.

As for question 2, I don't think this is a trivial one and pretty much an own topic of research. The best ways (from a biological point of view) in my opinion would be to see if a) the transcript expression / (structure) is reproducible between replicates; and b) if the transcript is still detected when using higher mapping stringency (mismatch allowance, multimapper limit), i.e. "playing around" with the input parameters of the Mapper and Assembler. The first point of course raises your invoice considerable .

Comment

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I've realised that the output annotation is a bit unprecise, or I don't understand the labelling. Transcripts with 0 coverage and 0 in all positions except the highFPKM are labelled OK for example.

Anyhow, I have 48 samples and I've decided to filterout anything that is not present in at least two samples. After that I'll see what I have left.

/Petter

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses