Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to sequence and quantify a 100 bp genomic region using a MiSeq?

Hi,

Very new to this, so I may be using wrong nomenclature. Being trying for a week now to get answers from Illumia or the internet without luck so I figured I would try to ask here.

I have some mammalian cells.
    I treat them with a TALEN that generates a small deletion or insert (an indel, we are only interested in ones smaller than e.g. 10 bp) at a specific site in the genome of some of the cells.
    I would like to quantify how often this happens and what the sequence of the region is.

Currently we do this by extracting genomic DNA from the pool of cells and then running a PCR. We then TOPO clone the PCR and pick bacterial clones and sequencing the PCR in the TOPO vector from the bacteria on a standard sanger sequencer.
    This works but it takes a lot of work to get even a 100 sequences.
    We would like to have many many more sequences and do it simultaneously with genomic DNA from cells that have been treated with different TALENS.

We have a MiSeq which I imagine would be able to sequence the PCR products directly if they had proper adapters and index sequences ligated (or as part of the PCR primer).

My questions are:
    1) Is this the "correct" way to do this?
    2) What are the sequences I would need to add to my PCR primers (or ligate to the final PCR product) for it to work in a MiSeq
    3) How many different PCRs would I need to put in the MiSeq simultaneously in order to avoid the problem with low sequence difference?

Best,
    Lasse

I don't know if this is the "correct" way to do this. I only work with bacteria, but it sounds like you need to do something similar to 16s metagenomics analysis, which is easily doable on the MiSeq. This thread http://seqanswers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32475 contains a link in the first post to a pretty easy 2-step way to do this. If this isn't quite right, try looking up the Caporaso paper on 16s metagenomics on the MiSeq.

Low sequence difference isn't nearly as big a problem now that Illumina has updated their basecalling software as it was several months ago.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      Yesterday, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses