No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kmer genome size estimation so much lower than the actual

Hi everyone,

I’m assembling an eukaryotic genome (2n=22) for the first time, working in a non-model plant species, and I could use some insight: my data consists of reads from a full lane of Illumina HiSeq 2x151 sequences with insert size ~350. from several literature, the estimation of haploid genome size of this plant was about 400Mb. However, kmer-counting programs such as Jellyfish have predicted an assembly size of less than half that number, at about 210Mb.

Does anyone have any idea why the nuclear genome size is so much larger than that of kmer one?

Any related thoughts/comments would be, by me, appreciated!

It would be nice if you could post the kmer frequency histogram (both as text and as an image). Kmer-counters can make mistakes on genome size estimation when the data is noisy, or if the peaks are too broad, or if they guess the ploidy wrong, etc. I'd be interested in seeing what BBMap's KmerCountExact reports as the estimated genome size, also:

Code:
    kmercountexact.sh in=reads.fq khist=khist.txt peaks=peaks.txt
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 01-21-2017, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Dear Brian,
      I have estimated kmer count using Jellyfish.
      hereunder, the links to histo image and text.

I will try using BBMap and let u know

thanks

Comment

That looks like a haploid to me. There is no evidence from the kmer frequency histogram that the organism is a diploid. There is exactly one prominent peak, and it is very clear. Is this sample highly inbred, or wild-type?
        Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 01-22-2017, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses