No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casava1.8.2

Hi:
    How are people feeling about CASAVA 1.8.2? We are just starting to use it and so far are underwhelmed. The new formats are cumbersome and the way it delivers multiple files is complicating everything we do downstream. We also benchmarked the new ELAND aligner and it performed exactly the same as the old aligner (which in our hands only delivers about 80% of the mapped reads as bwa), despite claims of superiority. Maybe we're not using it correctly? Any tips?

There's supposed to be an option in 1.8.2 to generate only a single fastq.gz file which might make things a bit easier.

I'm afraid we gave up trying to work with Eland since 1.8 due to the extra complexity of the run commands. We were perfectly happy with the performance of the old Eland, but have now moved to bowtie for everything (which is also a pain as you can't run paired end gzipped data through it without uncompressing first).

Comment

Thanks Simon! We did find some info on that using the --fastq-cluster-count parameter. But it's a little confusing, the manual says "Specify 0 to ensure creation of a single FASTQ file" then later it says "If you need to generate one unique fastq gzipped file for use in a third-party tool, you can set the --fastq-cluster-count option to -1" But I agree with you about Eland, I think our days of using that are over too.

Comment

Originally posted by simonandrews View Post
        ... but have now moved to bowtie for everything (which is also a pain as you can't run paired end gzipped data through it without uncompressing first).
        Hi Simon,

If the pain is about unzipping the files into temporary storage first, I think there might be some ways to uncompress and feed into Bowtie on the fly.

One way that I think works would be with named pipes like this:
        Code:
        rm -f pipe1
        rm -f pipe2
        mkfifo pipe1
        mkfifo pipe2
        gunzip -c reads/e_coli_1000_1.fq.gz > pipe1 & \
        gunzip -c reads/e_coli_1000_2.fq.gz > pipe2 & \
        ./bowtie e_coli -1 pipe1 -2 pipe2
        You could also try uncompressing and merging the paired files on-the-fly into the special tab-delimited format accepted by Bowtie, where the columns are

read_name[tab]sequence_1[tab]quality_1[tab]sequence_2[tab]quality_2
        and pipe that into Bowtie.

best,
        Justin

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions Justin. I hadn't realised there was a paired end format already - I might just make up a wrapper for that.

I'm sorely tempted to just patch in gzip support to bowtie, but don't want to have the hassle of maintaining a fork in perpetuity.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses