No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RNA-seq normalization

Hello,

I have a raw count data matrix (with genes in rows and samples in columns) that needs to be normalized. I can't use DESeq2 or Limma directly for this, since the design matrix is not fixed for my data. Specifically, one of the columns of the design matrix changes from gene to gene. So I need to do the normalization myself. Since I'm new to this, I'm not sure if I'm on the right track, so any help, comment, or reference would be much appreciated. Here's what I have in mind to do:

Suppose that the raw counts matrix is called "reads". Then using edgeR, I can do the following:

dge <- DGEList(counts=reads)
    dge <- calcNormFactors(dge)

I have a couple of questions on this:
    (1) is there a function in edgeR that directly outputs the matrix of normalized counts?
    (2) If not, can I calculate the normalized count for each gene-sample combination with
    dge$counts/(dge$samples$lib.size*dge$samples$norm.factors)?

I'd appreciate your help,
    Golsheed

How did you get your count data matrix? I use the trinity pipeline for this analysis because it does all, align the reads to the transcriptome, calculate abundance, normalize and output the matrix with FPKM values, it also does DGE

Comment

You can't output normalized counts from edgeR, because the normalization factors are applied to the fitted model, not to the counts themselves. Of course you can output FPKM or counts-per-million, but this isn't the same thing.

The edgeR authors have long argued that "normalized count" is not a meaningful concept, because any standardization of the counts would cause them to be no longer counts.

Anway, you don't need normalized counts to fit models with gene-specific design matrices. This is done for example in the spliceVariants() function in edgeR and also in the DEXSeq package. In both cases, they work with the raw counts.
      Last edited by Gordon Smyth; 03-16-2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

oeh...but there's the dge$pseudo.counts matrix, which I thought were the normalized counts.

Comment

Originally posted by bastianwur View Post
          oeh...but there's the dge$pseudo.counts matrix, which I thought were the normalized counts.
          Read the section on normalization in the edgeR User's Guide. Amongst other things, it explains why the pseudo counts should not be used as normalized counts.

Comment

Guess I should've taken a look at your name ^^ -> sorry *ffttt*.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses