No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Expression

Hi there,

It seems most of the people here are using the Solexa platform for genomic sequencing. But what about gene expression?
    Might be useful to share with others what strategies/tools are you using to annotate and analyze all the SAGE tags coming out of the sequencer. Illumina provides annotation files for human and mouse, but how are people dealing with other species with and without an available genome?

Cheers,
    elg

Yeah, that's an interesting area... I'd like to hear about that too.

I'm looking forward to a Nature Methods paper that should come out from the
    Sanger shortly about bacterial expression studies using concatenated bacterial cDNA. There's not many people doing bacterial transcriptomics yet! Anyone here doing it?

Comment

We've been using the platform for gene expression. I can't say it's all that useful yet, because basically the counts for genes fall across 4 orders of magnitude, with many counts in the 10s to 100s. It's hard to compare 10 counts of YFG (your favorite gene) in one sample to 50 in another, and really believe that's a 5-fold difference, especially when the scatter in the 0-100 count range is so high among replicates.

Illumina's tables for human and mouse are out of date and they have no plans to replace them or regenerate them. But there are methods for generating the tables yourself. There's a thread and some resources over at google groups: http://groups.google.com/group/solexa

-Chris

Comment

Thanks for the link, Chris, that was helpful!

about the scatter in the 0-100 count range, I have observed the same behaviour in my data. But shouldn't this be a Poisson distribution matter and then just check whether the count differences are significant or not?

Esther

Comment

This might be interesting to you guys:

"Ultra high-throughput sequencing is emerging as an attractive
          alternative to microarrays for genotyping, analysis of methylation
          patterns and identification of transcription factor binding sites. Here,
          we describe an application of the Illumina sequencing platform to study
          mRNA expression levels. Our goals were to estimate technical variance
          associated with Illumina sequencing in this context and to compare its
          ability to identify differentially expressed genes with existing array
          technologies. To do so, we estimated gene expression differences between
          liver and kidney RNA samples using multiple sequencing replicates, and
          compared the sequencing data to results obtained from Affymetrix arrays
          using the same RNA samples. We find that the Illumina sequencing data
          are highly replicable, with relatively little technical variation, and
          so, for many purposes, it may suffice to sequence each mRNA sample only
          once (i.e., using one lane). The information in a single lane of
          Illumina sequencing data appears comparable to that in a single array in
          enabling identification of differentially expressed genes, while
          allowing for additional analyses such as detection of low-expressed
          genes, alternative splice variants, and novel transcripts. Based on our
          observations, we propose an empirical protocol and a statistical
          framework for the analysis of gene expression using ultra
          high-throughput sequencing technology"

An international, peer-reviewed genome sciences journal featuring outstanding original research that offers novel insights into the biology of all organisms

Comment

sample amount needed

That's really good news.
            Would anyone give me some suggestion about the minimal RNA sample needed for reliable and repeatable solexa sequencing ? Since I attemp to
            deal with the transcriptome of very tiny sample.

Thanks a lot!
            Lichun
            Originally posted by ScottC View Post
            This might be interesting to you guys:

"Ultra high-throughput sequencing is emerging as an attractive
            alternative to microarrays for genotyping, analysis of methylation
            patterns and identification of transcription factor binding sites. Here,
            we describe an application of the Illumina sequencing platform to study
            mRNA expression levels. Our goals were to estimate technical variance
            associated with Illumina sequencing in this context and to compare its
            ability to identify differentially expressed genes with existing array
            technologies. To do so, we estimated gene expression differences between
            liver and kidney RNA samples using multiple sequencing replicates, and
            compared the sequencing data to results obtained from Affymetrix arrays
            using the same RNA samples. We find that the Illumina sequencing data
            are highly replicable, with relatively little technical variation, and
            so, for many purposes, it may suffice to sequence each mRNA sample only
            once (i.e., using one lane). The information in a single lane of
            Illumina sequencing data appears comparable to that in a single array in
            enabling identification of differentially expressed genes, while
            allowing for additional analyses such as detection of low-expressed
            genes, alternative splice variants, and novel transcripts. Based on our
            observations, we propose an empirical protocol and a statistical
            framework for the analysis of gene expression using ultra
            high-throughput sequencing technology"

http://www.genome.org/cgi/content/ab...r.079558.108v2

Comment

Hi Elg and Seidel,

Would you be able to share some information about running the GA pipeline on Solexa 3' tag data? Eland can be used on latest+squashed tag tables for the 17 cycles? Or the 4bp tag should be included as well?

Any pipeline or scripts that can be made use of for the analysis. ELAND_TAG is one way I looked up, that even gives the counts. Have you tried it out, and any help in setting that up?

Thanks..
              --
              bioinfosm

Comment

Hi bioinfosm,

no, you don't have to add the 4bp tag to the tag tables. I used Eland in tag modus as it is described in the user's manual, no special changes. But since Illumina only offers tag tables for human and mouse we are currently setting up our own pipeline.

Esther

Comment

You might want to look at this for a pipeline to make tag tables

I am not sure why we have 18 cycles for the DpnII, as I thought its 16/17. SO do I simply use that many cycles in the config for GERALD?
                  --
                  bioinfosm

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses