No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recovering the original 5' position of reverse strand reads from SAM files

Hello everyone,

I need to get the precise 5' position of my mapped directional RNA-seq reads. Problem is, for reads that map to the reverse strand, the BAM/SAM format output by my mapping software (TMAP) seems to be the left-most position of the last *aligning* base relative to the reference. In other words, it's the 3'-most base (using the orientation of the read) after clipping non-aligning bases.

I've tried just adding the length of the read onto the position, but this fails for reads with bad 3' ends or several indels in the alignment. I suppose I could write a script to count up the number of "S"s etc. in the cigar, but I am a wet-lab person and the thought of that just makes me sad.

Is there a better way to recover the original 5' position of the seed alignment for reverse reads? Thanks in advance.

The left position is just the POS field, the right position is POS plus the sum of the M/=/X/D/N operations in the CIGAR string. The S operations are irrelevant here.

If you are using a SAM/BAM library to process your data, there will probably be a method/function call already available to do this for you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
    • seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses