Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Picard tools Mark Duplicates consider read group?

Hey all,

I ask as I'm trying to set up a fully automated pipeline where I anticipate having to merge data files in the future. If we sequence the same library more then once, we want to merge and then remove duplicates. If we sequence the same samples in different libraries, we want to remove duplicates and then merge.

But what if we sequence a sample once with one library, make a new library and remove duplicates before merging, and then sequence that second library again? Now, as the first two libraries are already mixed, it wouldn't be possible to just merge the second data set with the third and remove duplicates prior to merging with the first, unless all of the individual files are kept (of course if the sequence files are available it can be reanalyzed as such as well).

If Mark Duplicates handled different read groups (or libraries) separately within one bam file, this wouldn't be an issue as long as each library was given a different read group (or library tag).

So, that's where my question is coming from. Hopefully this situation won't arise but it'd be awesome if I could magically anticipate and build in code to handle every possible situation.

Any results

Hey Heisman,

Have you ever found out if MarkDuplicates was handling read groups properly?

Comment

Hello,

having the same problem, I found your thread and I actually have the answer: MarkDuplicates handles read groups properly, based on the "LB" field of the "@RG" parameter, and not on the "ID" field, as one could imagine.
      I just used it and it works perfectly, even outputing duplicates by read groups. So if you want to merge different bams and eliminate only duplicates of each bam (justified, since a read appearing in different runs is significant), be sure to indicate different "LB" fields in the "@RG" lines of your headers. Hope it'll help!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses