No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ion Torrent Suite

Hello,
    I am totally new in the NGS field, so I have several silly questions. I hope I can have a clearer pictures with your help.
    I have my Ion Torrent data and now trying to analyse them. I was suggested to use Ion Torrent Suite, but it is now on the cloud. I have already had an account on their cloud, but the problem is I don't know where to stat first. I could not find any link to download Ion Torrent Suite on their website.
    Is there anyone patient enough to tell me what i should do. I really appreciate about that.

You can try Ion Reporter, it's free to a point.

I don't think you can just download Torrent Suite, it usually ships with their servers (I could be wrong).

Your can also use different software, if you are new to this I would read the GATK best practices workflow, it will give you a good understanding of what you have and what you probably want.

(Click on DNAseq)

Comment

Torrent suite is available as a free download at this link: https://github.com/iontorrent/TS. If you are not computer savvy, then you may want to stick with the cloud version.

I would think that the ion community site should have tutorials available to use Torrent suite in the cloud. You will have to create a free account to access that forum: http://ioncommunity.lifetechnologies.com/welcome

Comment

Originally posted by sophiespo View Post
        You can try Ion Reporter, it's free to a point.

I don't think you can just download Torrent Suite, it usually ships with their servers (I could be wrong).

Your can also use different software, if you are new to this I would read the GATK best practices workflow, it will give you a good understanding of what you have and what you probably want.

(Click on DNAseq)
        Thank you for your answer. But I could not access to the first link.
        Do you think GATK is suitable data as many people think it doesn't work well with Ion Torrent data?

Comment

Originally posted by GenoMax View Post
          Torrent suite is available as a free download at this link: https://github.com/iontorrent/TS. If you are not computer savvy, then you may want to stick with the cloud version.

I would think that the ion community site should have tutorials available to use Torrent suite in the cloud. You will have to create a free account to access that forum: http://ioncommunity.lifetechnologies.com/welcome
          I cannot find any tutorial for using Torrent Suite in the cloud. I am not computer savvy but I am willing to learn as long as I know how to start with. From what I understand, I have to download all the source code from GitHub. Then, using Ubuntu with complex command lines to build the Torrent Suite on my computer. Is it right?

Comment

Originally posted by icymiktreize View Post
            From what I understand, I have to download all the source code from GitHub. Then, using Ubuntu with complex command lines to build the Torrent Suite on my computer. Is it right?
            Roughly yes. Get help from a local friend (who preferably knows about unix) to make this easier.

Have you tried to contact Ion Tech support to see if they can point you to a user guide for the TS cloud version?

Comment

The easiest way to proceed is to generate FastQ files. Then you can use any data analysis pipeline.

Comment

What is you application ?
                Are you doing amplicon sequencing of humans ?
                More cohorts or single samples ?

You could use another alignement algorithm lile BWA-MEM, Nextgenmap,GEM or Mosaik.
                All of which work for Ion Torrent data.

For Variant Calling Free Bayes is what the IonSuite uses.
                I am currently using Platypus and the deepSNV bioconductor package.
                The VariantTools package is then used for further QC checks of called SNPs

I would not worry too much about GATK, as it it incredibly slow and things
                and not all tools work for Ion Torrent data.

Compiling the Torrent Suite can be problematic as it seems to need Ubuntu 10.4.
                Last edited by IonTom; 06-06-2014, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for your help. I am sorry for not responding for a long time. I am not giving up using Ion Torrent Suite. Now I am using other tools as you guys suggest here. It may take time for me to analyse my data. It is amplicon sequencing.

Comment

Do you have any tools to convert dat to fastq?

Comment

Originally posted by cuiya2013 View Post
                      Do you have any tools to convert dat to fastq?
                      Only the torrent suite can analyze a .dat file. The dat file is completely raw data. there is no sequence information until it is processed by the Torrent Server.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
                        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                      0 responses