No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comparison of alignment tools

Dear Seqanswers,
    Recently my lab purchased a license for CLC genome workbench to use for our next-gen sequencing needs. We have been using Bowtie/SAM Tools but everyone else liked the ease of use of this software. Does anyone have experience using both of these pieces of software and can you tell me how accurate they may be? Obviously CLC wins in terms of presentation hands down, but from what I have read Bowtie is not only faster, but also more accurate. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

What kind of experiments are you planning to run? What kind of sequencer do you have? What type of sequence are you going to generarte? I don't have experience with CLC or bowtie, but I suggest you take _also_ a look to bwa and bfast.
    -drd

Comment

I tried BWA to align long reads to reference sequence and at the same time I used CLC. CLC seems to map a lot more reads (>75%) for reads are mapped vs. bwa (30%). I acknowledge that bwa has not been written to map the long reads but it has the long read indexing that allows you to do this to some extend. However, I am not sure more is better either. Anybody has any input?

Comment

BWA long should work "bwa bwasw".

Comment

bwa bwasw vs CLC

"bwa bwasw" Works! humm, Yes and no. The same 454 data used for BWA and CLC. CLC mapped a lot more reads than BWA (29K for BWA vs. 1.2M for CLC). But that was just with one data set. Other data sets were Ok but still CLC mapped more. I am not sure what was wrong with those 454 reads or BWA that did not work well.

Comment

Have you considered novoalign, which is another commercial offering? BLAT and ssaha2 also work for longer reads. Sounds like you're doing good due diligence.

Comment

bwasw would not work well when your reads are short or the error rate is high. For typical 454 reads produced nowadays, most mappers can map the vast majority. Also, for 454 alignment where you only want to find local hits, it is actually fairly easy to find one significant hit, but the question whether we should trust it or not.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses