SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Polonator

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is the Polonator for real? rubenken Polonator 11 06-26-2012 05:28 AM
Fastq_screen Errors: fail to launch & permission denied pepperoni Bioinformatics 2 10-19-2011 06:05 AM
Polonator now for sale rubenken Polonator 1 10-14-2010 03:17 PM
Bioinformatics-ready linux distros... ECO Bioinformatics 0 09-11-2009 07:45 AM
Helicos ready to launch Heliscope! Stock market reacts 24 hours early! ECO Helicos / Direct Genomics 1 01-18-2008 09:18 AM

Old 05-07-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
ECO
--Site Admin--

Default Updated Polonator ready for launch!

Genomeweb has a new article about the updated Polonator which sounds like it's ready for launch.

No updates yet to the Polonator website, but I'd check back soon. Dover CTO Kevin McCarthy is a member here, so I'm sure we'll be hearing more any time now.
ECO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
rbhuang

Great! We are looking forward to some nice improvements on this machine.

Kevin, when your new improved Polonator get ready to ship to the outsides of the US?
rbhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #3
genseq

http://polonator.org/faqs.aspx

# Where are you with respect to longer reads?
Recent testing of some longer read approaches has been promising, and we now anticipate the release of a 48 base paired-end read (24 + 24), as well as a 24 bp fragment (single-end) read during 2009, hopefully by Q3. We will be providing reagent kits for this chemistry when it is released. Work continues, both within the Church Lab and among our early adopters, on a variety of cyclic ligation based long read chemistries, as well as polymerase based approaches, with the goal of further extending read length.
# What does the Polonator forward roadmap look like?
As mentioned above, work on longer reads is ongoing, with an extended read chemistry release expected this year. A straightforward upgrade to our imaging system in Q3 will increase the imaging speed from 10 to 30 frames per second, while continuing to fully process all images in real-time. A major system enhancement relates to removing the inefficiencies and cost of emulsion PCR. We have licensed IP from the Church Lab on rolonies (rolling circle colonies), and will be replacing the current randomly arrayed, bead-based, emulsion PCR with rolonies on ordered arrays. This should provide a substantial efficiency gain, since currently only one in six beads provide a clonal signal. An upgrade to higher numerical aperture optics may also be phased in at this time. As we adopt longer read chemistries and tighten the pitch on the ordered arrays, we expect that the output per run will climb to over 100 Gbp in 2010.
genseq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Kevin McCarthy

To answer genseq's question, we are at the same point as when we updated the Polonator web site with the FAQ a few weeks ago. Two groups are working on cyclical ligation approaches, and the progress is promising, but still has a ways to go. For the moment, we can only commit to the 26 or 28 bp read lengths (13+13 or 14+14) that have been demonstrated. We will post regarding any imminent read length advances as soon as they appear ready.

To rbhuang's question, we have not yet finalized the plans for our geographic roll out. In this initial phase of our release, precedence is being given to domestic installations.

Kevin
Kevin McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
rbhuang

I have ordered a Polonator through Azco Biotech, and the machine will be arriving at the end of this month and will be ready to test early next month. The CEO of Azco has just visited us here and given a quite nice talk on Plolonator technology.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
seqgirl77

Hi, is there any update on the 48 bp reads? The Polonator website says they expected to have more info in Q3 of 2009...
seqgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
rbhuang

Hi, the polonator we just ordered is now on its way to my place, and we would not be able to tell anything until the machine arrives and installed.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:42 AM   #8
Kevin McCarthy

seqgirl77: We have several approaches to performing cyclical ligation, but none are yet robust enough to release. SBS (polymerase) is another route, but again, not yet ready for release. One item is that we now have an in-depth Polonator Operator's Manual and User Guide. It is a bit too big for email, but as soon as I return from travel I will get it up on the web site. In the meantime, any interested parties can email me, and I can use our file transfer service.

Kevin
Old 05-06-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
CellsDividing

Default Feedback?

Has anyone used one of these yet? What is the price? Is there any public data out there yet?
CellsDividing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
Kevin McCarthy

Yes, we have over a dozen Polonators in the field. In some cases users are still learning how to use them (library prep alone is a bit complex); in other cases, they are in successful production. We will be making a major upgrade to the web site shortly, with a downloadable 150 page Polonator Operator's Manual and User Guide, detailed breakdowns of our very low operating cost, sample data, etc. In the meantime, feel free to contact me directly, using the Contact Tab on the current web site.

Kevin McCarthy

Tags
polonator