SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
This may be a simple question.. (genome coverage) Shrub Bioinformatics 1 09-23-2013 03:04 AM
Newbie Question: Calculating physical coverage from genome coverage tristanstoeber Illumina/Solexa 4 06-24-2013 10:53 AM
Which cloumn to take from SV Detect to make bed format to make it running on BEdtools vishal.rossi Bioinformatics 1 05-16-2013 03:59 AM
PubMed: What can you do with 0.1x genome coverage? A case study based on a genome sur Newsbot! Literature Watch 1 04-11-2012 01:18 PM
Make a complete genome sequences from Illumina data nhbach Illumina/Solexa 2 08-30-2011 05:58 PM

Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
zaratieg

Default [n00b question] best way to make whole genome windowed coverage correlation?

Hi everyone

I have three samples that i would like to compare for differences in coverage. Right now the data is in .bed files. I'd like to run some statistics on them but i'm afraid I don't know how to do that. My questions are the following.

1. What is the best normalization scheme for coverage counts, to account for library size/total read count?
1. Is there software to do the correlation quickly?
3. I'm also trying to learn R. I can import the .bed files to GRanges, but after that I'm stumped. Anyone know a good BioConductor package for this kind of thing?

Thank you in advance
zaratieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
dpryan
Devon Ryan

The normalization strategy will depend a bit on the underlying nature of the experiment. If you expect most of the genomic chunks that you're looking at to be the same between samples then the procedures from DESeq or edgeR would work OK. R can generally calculate correlations pretty quickly. Did you just convert the mapped reads to BED format and then import that or are these regions with associated counts (i.e., modified BED files)?
dpryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #3
zaratieg

Thanks for your answer Devon. The data are viral insertion sites, so most of the genome is empty, with around 3000 clusters with signal ranging from 1 to 300 counts. The mapped read tells me the insertion point at its 5' end, so I made bedgraph files from the bam files with bedtools genomecov -5, and bed files with bamtobed and piping it through awk to shorten the alignments to the 5' end. The library sizes were relatively similar but not enough to ignore normalization (2.0e6, 1.92e6 and 1.83e6).
For the normalization, aren't DEseq and edgeR used for RNAseq? as you can see this is probably a very different problem.
zaratieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bioconductor, correlation, coverage, normalization