SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

View Poll Results: Does this result surprise you?
Yes 3 23.08%
No 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
detect fusion gene from Solid single end 50bp reads( colorspace) yinxiaohe SOLiD 5 12-16-2011 04:39 AM
Fusion gene detect tools for Solid (colorspace)single end 50bp RNA-seq data yinxiaohe RNA Sequencing 3 08-22-2011 06:04 PM
Mapping of SOLiD reads JohanS SOLiD 2 05-26-2011 03:04 AM
mapping SOLID reads under 24nt mycky SOLiD 4 07-30-2010 09:03 PM
Using 50bp short-reads to find a translocation agc Bioinformatics 3 07-22-2010 04:33 AM

Old 11-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #21
bacdirector

Default thanks, everyone

well, a lot of great feedback and perspective here; looks like a lot of people are doing different things; some use a masking tool, which should allow reads to map in spite of non-calls; that makes sense; we have heard of progressive mapping, but not done it yet, and will be studying that in comparison to what we've found. also, re: # uniquely mapped reads, will be sure to report back on that after we look at that closely (over the various trimmed lengths).

with the various strategies for data representation, filtering on qvals; trimming back based on qvals; and given the various algorithms, i.e., bfast, and bowtie, and right now we're doing nextgene and bioscope, there seems, as usual, to be a combinatorial number of strategies. we've been careful to be to look at the number of valid adjacent errors as well to be sure we're not just mapping short reads anywhere and everywhere.

yeah, the dibase encoding = higher accuracy is real.

looks like we have a lot of careful comparative evaluations to do!

any additional thoughts would be appreciated.
bacdirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #22
drio

For your evaluations (simulations), take a look to this.
The author of bfast talks about simulating reads and then plotting the results using ROC curves to find the best tool for the problem.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #23
bacdirector

Default Ok, here it is - Percent of Reads that Map that Also Map Uniquely

In our study that started this thread, I originally reported a doubling of reads mapped from 25 million to 50 million achieved by trimming all reads >35 to 35. At 50b, we get only 25 million reads mapped. This was based on empirical comparisons of reported valid adj errors.

The answer to the question of what percent of reads map uniquely is--- it barely matters. The range is 85.5% to 86.5% Percent of Reads that Map that Also Map Uniquely, with an increasing trend from 85.5% to 86.5% going from 25b trimmed reads to 50b reads.

So far, we've seen the optimal overall response to trimming at 35b. This is for Bioscope, not Nextgene (my bad!!!), but without any masking of -1's..... so in response to feedback from the thread, we'll be expanding our repetoire to include progressive mapping as well as non-call masking. And bfast. And bowtie. We have all the trimmed data sets ready to go, it's just a matter of punching buttons...

thanks, everyone for your interest and feedback!

James Lyons-Weiler
Director
Bioinformatics Analysis Core
University of Pittsburgh
bacdirector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #24
Chirag

Hey,

Could anyone help me on how to trim the color space data.
I am using bowtie/tophat to map the data, and i map only around 40% of the reads. Reads are 75 bp long and i had allowed 3 mismatches, where allowing 2 mismatch had given me only 35% mapping.

Could someone help me on how to trim the end of the reads, for eg, last 10/15 bases are trimmed, so could probably map more. But haven't found yet any S/W that does trimming for SoliD ?

regards
Chirag
Chirag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #25
Chirag

Try this:
http://hts.rutgers.edu/filter
Chirag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #26
colindaven

The best aligners for CS data use iterative trimming, see for example NovoalignCS and Lifescope.
colindaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coverage, mapping, solid, trimmed reads